Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need assistance

need assistance

hi all,

so i build this machine and boot for the first time, go to the BIOS, adjust boot order and save. load Win 7 and at first reboot the system does not boot, just a blank screen with the fans still running. i unplug get distracted and walk away for 20 minutes, get back, plug it in and it boots but the keyboard and mouse are lit but unresponsive. so i restart and get a blank screen. i unplug, walk away, come back plug in and it boots like it should but Windows in still not finished and the KB & M are not responsive. i re-seat the RAM, pull the video card and try again, i get the boot screen and then it goes dark again. i prefer not to re-seat the i7, what should be the next step? thanks.

i7-6700K
    Asus Z170-A
    Cooler Master 212 EVO
    EVGA 850 SuperNova
    ASUS GTX 960
    Kingston HX424C15FBK2/16
    WD 600gb drive
    DVD
    Last edited by amd5150; 05-13-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Re: need assistance

There are various driver issues with win7 and these skylake boards.
    Asus has a win7 installation guide for the mobo
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...323.1459695203

I hope CMB's solution works.

If not, you may need to check the CPU - there have been reports of Skylake CPUs bending under certain CPU coolers. I don't know if the 212 EVO is one but I know it's a hefty cooler.

Hope this helps.

thanks guys! appreciate the fast response. i'll let ya know what happens.

what could happen if i used to much thermal grease?
    Last edited by amd5150; 05-14-2016 at 11:41 AM.

ok, strange, was chatting with ASUS TS while getting things ready from the link and was told that the RAM is not on the HCL. ok, it was free so fine, i change the configuration of the RAM and i get the KB to show signs of life but still wont boot and the POST LED stays lit. looks like i am RAM shopping. hopping that's all it was.

Looks like you have a combination of issues. You will need to preload usb drivers otherwise you cannot finish installing win7, and there seem to be an underlying hardware problem with the post.

Times like this, I'd recommend a PS2 Mouse and keyboard.

^^^^

just used that recently.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Times like this, I'd recommend a PS2 Mouse and keyboard.
    good thing i still have one.

How strange - if it is the RAM this is the 3rd instance of RAM compatibility being the issue in about as many weeks (and I've never heard of an actual case before).

Happened to me about two weeks ago. Know good RAM, put into a different build and I couldn't get it stable (I was replacing the CPU so I thought it was the CPU, CPU seating issue or heaven's forbid I bent a pin). Troubleshooting 101 reminded me to swap out the RAM with the old and voila! it worked. Ran Memtest on the replacement RAM for 4 hours - not a single issue. For grins, I threw it into a 3rd build and it worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    How strange - if it is the RAM this is the 3rd instance of RAM compatibility being the issue in about as many weeks (and I've never heard of an actual case before).

Happened to me about two weeks ago. Know good RAM, put into a different build and I couldn't get it stable (I was replacing the CPU so I thought it was the CPU, CPU seating issue or heaven's forbid I bent a pin). Troubleshooting 101 reminded me to swap out the RAM with the old and voila! it worked. Ran Memtest on the replacement RAM for 4 hours - not a single issue. For grins, I threw it into a 3rd build and it worked like a charm.
    i had RAM issues before with my last ASUS build now that you mention it, the 8gb kit for my i7-4770k worked until i launched a game, works fine in my AMD build. strange.

Any reason you are using win7 ? You can skip all the driver issues by downloading win10 free upgrade and using your win7 key...no need to install win7 then upgrade to win10.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Any reason you are using win7 ? You can skip all the driver issues by downloading win10 free upgrade and using your win7 key...no need to install win7 then upgrade to win10.
    suppose i could get Win 10 media. but i still have a hardware issue as the POST light stays lit.

Quote Originally Posted by amd5150 View Post
    but still wont boot and the POST LED stays lit.
    Maybe try one of the mobo speakers to get a clearer idea of the problem?
    Last edited by RatzKlaw; 05-19-2016 at 12:52 PM.

trading RAM with a guy from work who is having the same issue. see what happens.....