Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need assistance

Re: need assistance

pulled the board out of the case, used a different DVD and HDD, on board video and certified RAM and it loaded Windows as it should. next step is to reinstall all the parts and try again.

well, its back together and the OS install picked up right where it left off. i finished the install, loaded the driver disk and at reboot it wont boot.

Just so we're level-set, you installed Win 7 on this machine (which you're using certified RAM, DVD and HDD that seem to be compatible). OS loads fine, but when you attempt to load drivers and reboot the PC, you get a blank screen with fans still running.

Here's the build:
    • i7-6700K
    • Asus Z170-A
    • Cooler Master 212 EVO
    • EVGA 850 SuperNova
    • ASUS GTX 960
    • Kingston HX424C15FBK2/16 (this is probably different)
    • WD 600gb drive (may have changed but really shouldn't matter)
    • DVD (same as HDD)

Questions:
    1. Do you have anything installed in a USB connector? I'm mainly looking for USB drives, phones, printers, etc. (not mice and keyboards)? Remove those first.
    2. Where in the reboot does it stall? For example, does it actually "reboot" (briefly shut down before restarting), or does it stall before then? Do you get to POST? Can you see the Windows logo but then it goes blank before you see the desktop?
    3. If you are not loading drivers and you reboot, does the computer reboot ok?
    4. If you power down the computer and then turn it back on, are the drivers installed, and the computer act okay?
    5. If you force shutdown and restart, do you get the "Windows did not shutdown properly" warning?

Hi, thanks, ok, Level-Setting:

1. i had a USB mouse and keyboard plugged in. none of the front chassis headers are plugged in.
    2. as soon as the power cuts, the fans spin up again (case and CPU) i get the RAM test light on then off, the PCIe light on then off, the POST light on then off and no display on the screen.
    3. it does not. the drivers did load, then when i had to reboot to finish the install it did not boot up, i just get the light sequence.
    4. when i power off, then back on i get what is in "2".
    5. nope, more of # 2.

Will it boot in safe mode, holding the f8 key on boot ?

One last question: are you mass installing the drivers, or are you doing it component-by-component?

I'm guessing here, but it stands to reason that this is a driver issue. I suggest you remove the GPU and re-install the OS. Install drivers one at a time, starting with motherboard, then audio, USB, LAN. A quick search indicates that people have experienced problems with the USB and Ethernet drivers. In fact, ASUS has specific instructions regarding the install of USB 3.0 drivers. I would read up on these before you attempt again.

And if you don't have one attached, get one of the cheap motherboard speakers so you can hear any BIOS errors.

Keep us posted, and I want pictures once you get it up and running

Hope this helps.

pulled out 1 ram chip and it keeps booting. lol, have 3x 16gb kits and so far only 1x 8gb chip installed.

supper pumped, got ALL the drivers installed and even scored a new HyperX Predator PCIe SSD @ 240 for free. correction, 480!!!
    Last edited by amd5150; 07-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.

ok, now i get a Security boot screen fail ? FML.

Quote Originally Posted by amd5150 View Post
    ok, now i get a Security boot screen fail ? FML.
    FAQ FTW!!! was a BIOS setting.

So you have it up and running...? If so, congrats!

What was the culprit? If I followed your post, it sounds like the second RAM slot on the mobo may be defective (the install started working once you dropped down to one stick and you had tried 3 different sets of RAM).

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    So you have it up and running...? If so, congrats!

What was the culprit? If I followed your post, it sounds like the second RAM slot on the mobo may be defective (the install started working once you dropped down to one stick and you had tried 3 different sets of RAM).
    Thanks, but not out of the woods just yet (unless i'm happy with 8gb RAM). correct, it seams that the only mem bank that is good is the first slot (A2 i think it was) as i tried the same chip in all 4 slots and it only booted in the first.

could it be a speed issue? 2133 was set by default and i have 2666
    Last edited by amd5150; 07-05-2016 at 06:04 PM.

BIOS Flash and installed 16gb RAM, rebooted a bunch of times so hopefully all is good.

If everything is working, could you post full specs and some pics? I'd love to see the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by amd5150 View Post
    Thanks, but not out of the woods just yet (unless i'm happy with 8gb RAM). correct, it seams that the only mem bank that is good is the first slot (A2 i think it was) as i tried the same chip in all 4 slots and it only booted in the first.

could it be a speed issue? 2133 was set by default and i have 2666
    have you tryed manualy setting it to 2133 and set comand rate to 2T
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    have you tryed manualy setting it to 2133 and set comand rate to 2T
    i had to go in and set it to the 2666, once i did the machine was running better.