help me understand , haswell certifed vs non certifed ?

I been looking at PSUs' till I am cross eyed LOL . I am looking to buy a good PSU in the 500 w range for a skylake build for a full size mid atx tower . I see all this "certifed for haswell " so do I need this for a skylake ? Or is this some hype to promote sales ?

Another concern . I got this case from new egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811353105
    If you look closely you will see that the case has the PSU completly enclosed in metal cooled by one case fan at the bottom . This shroud is not removable nor can it be as it supports the MB tray and the 2 HHD bays so wold not the PSU have heat issues ?

Their is a bottom mounted dust cover below the PSU and a good raise supplied by the feet for air . Maybe I am just over concerned here ?
    Otherwise it is a great case , solid steel construction and heavy.
    Last edited by brothergc; 06-21-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: help me understand , haswell certifed vs non certifed ?

ATX power supplies that conform to the ATX 2.3 standard may not actually be capable of supporting Haswell's extremely low power sleep states. The result has been power supply manufacturers scrambling to see if their power supplies can handle Haswell's requested 0.05A on the 12V rail as opposed to the ATX 2.3 minimum's 0.5A.
    All that haswell stuff was from 2013, most power supplies should be good to go at this time

Yup, its unlikely that you could buy a decent quality PSU that would run into any issues with this stuff... even when Haswell was first released I don't think good power supplies ever had issues.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

To supplement what's been said, when Haswell came out it had an extremely low power setting (for that time) and required PSUs to deliver power in tiny amounts for it to work properly. If the PSU didn't/couldn't, there was a possibility of the CPU locking up (think freezing not bricking).

Like was previously stated, PSUs from reputable vendors (Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic) already had the capability, it was the lower tier, cheaper models that wouldn't be able to limit the power pushed out by the PSU. Again, any recent PSU should have no problem.

Hope that helps.

thanks for all the replys , I settled on this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151136
    what do you think ?

Seasonic is a great brand - considered one of the best.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of GOLD+ rated PSUs. You typically pay more for the PSU than any energy savings you'll incur over the life to the PSU, but that's just me. All things considered, $80 for a Seasonic Gold rated 550W PSU is a pretty good price.

I also saw the second half of your post (about the PSU being enclosed in the metal shroud). The shroud is mainly for aesthetics. Also, provided you place the PSU correctly, the bottom fan will push air through which will be vented out the back of the PSU so it will cool itself just fine.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    Seasonic is a great brand - considered one of the best.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of GOLD+ rated PSUs. You typically pay more for the PSU than any energy savings you'll incur over the life to the PSU, but that's just me. All things considered, $80 for a Seasonic Gold rated 550W PSU is a pretty good price.

I also saw the second half of your post (about the PSU being enclosed in the metal shroud). The shroud is mainly for aesthetics. Also, provided you place the PSU correctly, the bottom fan will push air through which will be vented out the back of the PSU so it will cool itself just fine.

Hope this helps.
    thanks , it does