Looking for new gaming laptop for OTR trucker

Hey guys,

I just joined the Commercial Trucking industry as an OTR flatbed driver and need to replace my aging Lenovo G570 since I will be on the road all but 4 days out of the month. I will have a max budget of $1500 and it MUST be reliable and have decent battery.

I will be playing games like Arma 3, Escape from Tarkov, and Dungeons & Dragons: Neverwinter.

Re: Looking for new gaming laptop for OTR trucker

I've personally been really happy with the laptop I had built to order at cyberpowerpc.com. It was substantially cheaper than competing options at the time and it's been problem free for 2 years now. I've also been impressed with the battery. I once went to a LAN party and played the whole time, about 4 hours, without ever finding an outlet.

My main advice is to shop your GPU first since it's both the most crucial part of a gaming system and the most limiting factor when picking out a laptop. That and mobile GPUs generally bear no relation to their desktop counterparts in terms of specs and relative performance. Notebookcheck.com is awesome for this, so that's where I'd start.

Lastly, I highly recommend getting a discrete SSD and HDD combo if you'll be needing more than a terabyte of storage. If you can keep all your installs on the SSD, it'll leave the HDD alone and you'll get better battery life and performance. If you decide one SSD is plenty by itself, make sure it's an m.2 drive. That way you'll have a bay open to expand later if you want.

Those are my main bits of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fractal Design View Post
    I've personally been really happy with the laptop I had built to order at cyberpowerpc.com. It was substantially cheaper than competing options at the time and it's been problem free for 2 years now. I've also been impressed with the battery. I once went to a LAN party and played the whole time, about 4 hours, without ever finding an outlet.

My main advice is to shop your GPU first since it's both the most crucial part of a gaming system and the most limiting factor when picking out a laptop. That and mobile GPUs generally bear no relation to their desktop counterparts in terms of specs and relative performance. Notebookcheck.com is awesome for this, so that's where I'd start.

Lastly, I highly recommend getting a discrete SSD and HDD combo if you'll be needing more than a terabyte of storage. If you can keep all your installs on the SSD, it'll leave the HDD alone and you'll get better battery life and performance. If you decide one SSD is plenty by itself, make sure it's an m.2 drive. That way you'll have a bay open to expand later if you want.

Those are my main bits of advice.
    Have to agree with pretty much everything you've said here. We should be seeing some updated mobile parts on the new process nodes dropping soon, but unfortunately I think you'll miss the boat on those if you're looking to buy in the next couple weeks. I wouldn't go less than a 970m (or equivalent) in terms of performance. I have a 960m in a laptop, and while it does the job for me, its not exactly punchy... the 970m is substantially faster.

Not sure I can offer any specific advice about battery life... its all going to be pretty dependent on the exact spec you choose. My thin asus system (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834234041) does ok while browsing, but hitting the GPU means only a few hours of game time.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

There are some better ASUS Rog for games, I have one for example, it's pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mercer View Post
    There are some better ASUS Rog for games, I have one for example, it's pretty awesome
    Such as? I would love to have one that is able to get at least 2 hours of battery (and that is bare minimum...I prefer more)

I'd recommend that you go for ASUS Republic of Gamers line. Their built is strong and have advanced machines