Overheating when folding

Hi All, i have since moved what was my secondary machine to my much cooler basement to hang out with my former main rig but still my eyefinity setup and do nothing but fold. thing is when folding it powers off after awhile (unsure as to how long). it always starts back up and has never shut down during gaming or anything but it does get pretty hot to the touch near the power supply.

Its a Cooler Master Sileo 500 case, with AMD FX 8350 under a 212 EVO, 10gb RAM (i know, silly), a few drives, R9-270X and EVGA 850 watt power supply. the thing ran supper quiet (was ideal as it was in my bedroom) but warmer then i would have liked. so i added a 120mm fan in the front 5.25 bays but it still stayed warm and shut down while folding.

so i have the front drive bay fans sucking air in, through the 212 and out the back fan in almost a straight line but the power supply intake fan doesn't seam to get any of the air while the bottom front fan brings air in across the drives and out the video card as seen here:

was thinking flipping the power supply upside down and using a 102mm hole saw on the top of the case but just by bring it in my basement where its a good 10 to 20 degrees cooler may have just solved the problems.

any ideas that wont cost anything?

Re: Overheating when folding

Folding on the GPU only ?

Or both processor and GPU ?

I'd try GPU only and see if the problem persists.

Folding on both. was thinking of pulling the back fan and blocking that airway off forcing the path to flow out the power supply.
    Last edited by amd5150; 07-21-2016 at 10:40 PM.

How is the PSU situated? It should be drawing air in from the case and exhausting out the back.

I didn't realize folding was that taxing on a system. Since it's downstairs and out of the way, could you just remove the side panels?

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    How is the PSU situated? It should be drawing air in from the case and exhausting out the back.

I didn't realize folding was that taxing on a system. Since it's downstairs and out of the way, could you just remove the side panels?

Just a thought.
    well i'll be damned. i could just remove the side panel lol.

I agree with matt. If the CPU heat is an issue, I would switch to GPU only since the CPU client isn't worth a huge amount in many cases.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

well, removing the MSI R9-270X Hawk and replacing with the ASUS GTX 960 turbo series and no heat problems!!! it seams that the ASUS cooling system is much better then the MSI on this one.
    Last edited by amd5150; 08-13-2016 at 02:14 PM.

The 960's also got a lower TDP (120W vs. 180W) so there's less heat to get rid of in the first place. If it was an issue of heat buildup in the chassis though, blower type cards do typically exhaust more heat through the bracket so that may have helped too.

You can also try adding a couple of case fans. Like if you haven't reapplied you thermal compound in a while it's a good idea to do so.