FreeSync and G-Sync

I know very little about these. How much of a difference do these really make?
    Im asking because my monitor supports Freesync (my current GPU doesnt support it?) and ive been thining about going NVidia my next GPU, a 1070.

This monitor having Freesync really had nothing to do with me getting it.
    MG279Q.

Thnaks

Re: FreeSync and G-Sync

AMD GPUs - Freesync.

nVidia GPUs - G-sync

These will flatten out the framerates - say from battle scene to quiet scene such that a minimum is kept - if your GPU is powerful enough. In other words they reduce your frame rates so there's not so much variation. The video looks smoother and less jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by i7Baby View Post
    These will flatten out the framerates - say from battle scene to quiet scene such that a minimum is kept - if your GPU is powerful enough. In other words they reduce your frame rates so there's not so much variation. The video looks smoother and less jerky.
    Not quite. Basically the refresh rate of the monitor gets tied to your framerate. This is kind of the opposite of vsync, in which your framerate is tied to the refresh rate of the monitor (or some fractional multiple thereof). The monitor only refreshes when a frame is ready to be displayed, which eliminates tearing and smoothes things out like vsync, but also reduces input lag and is much more flexible than vsync since your framerate won't get dropped dramatically if you go below a certain number (i.e. 60)

If you bought your monitor for reasons other than freesync its hard to recommend that you stick with AMD just to take advantage of it if you're looking to upgrade your 290X. After all, AMD doesn't have a comparable next gen card. You might consider waiting until Vega gets released.

BTW your 290X does support FreeSync! Enable it in your drivers and give it a whirl.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Not quite. Basically the refresh rate of the monitor gets tied to your framerate. This is kind of the opposite of vsync, in which your framerate is tied to the refresh rate of the monitor (or some fractional multiple thereof). The monitor only refreshes when a frame is ready to be displayed, which eliminates tearing and smoothes things out like vsync, but also reduces input lag and is much more flexible than vsync since your framerate won't get dropped dramatically if you go below a certain number (i.e. 60)

If you bought your monitor for reasons other than freesync its hard to recommend that you stick with AMD just to take advantage of it if you're looking to upgrade your 290X. After all, AMD doesn't have a comparable next gen card. You might consider waiting until Vega gets released.

BTW your 290X does support FreeSync! Enable it in your drivers and give it a whirl.

Thanks for the info. Would a 1070 be good enough for this monitor? do you think a 1080 would be worth the extra monet for this monitor?

I cant turn FreeSync on...

http://imgur.com/a/wTlQa

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfan View Post
    Thanks for the info. Would a 1070 be good enough for this monitor? do you think a 1080 would be worth the extra monet for this monitor?

I cant turn FreeSync on...

http://imgur.com/a/wTlQa
    How are you connected to the monitor ?

As far as I know, you have to use a display-port cable for vrr to actually work.

Thats my problem then, its HDMI. I should have known this....

So looking to buy a DP cable, they kinda expensive for just cord....

So looking to buy a DP cable, they kinda expensive for just cord....
    Where are you looking? I believe they are mostly on par with HDMI cables in terms of price. $10-15 should get you something workable on Amazon unless you need something really long and then I guess it might cost more. No need to overpay, digital signals are digital signals; as long as the 1's and 0's get there intact, theres no difference between a $10 cable and a $100 one.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Where are you looking? I believe they are mostly on par with HDMI cables in terms of price. $10-15 should get you something workable on Amazon unless you need something really long and then I guess it might cost more. No need to overpay, digital signals are digital signals; as long as the 1's and 0's get there intact, theres no difference between a $10 cable and a $100 one.
    The DP Cable arrived yesterday, going to try FreeSync. What type of game would be the best for it? an FPS?

What type of game would be the best for it? an FPS?
    It's not so much the type of game as it is the fps you get while playing the game. Most monitors have a refresh rate of 60Hz, which matches 60 fps really well, hence, people always talk about getting that magical 60 fps. If the fps are lower (say 40 fps) or much higher (100 fps), that's when you experience tears, partial frames, lag, etc. which detracts from playing the game.

Freesync and G-sync allow the monitor to adjust its refresh rate to more closely match the fps of the game. According to ASUS website, the monitor you have has a range of 35-144Hz, which means if the fps fall within a range of 35-144, then the monitor should be able to adjust to the games output.

Long story short (I know, too late), to see the benefit of your monitor, you would want to play a game at settings where your GPU struggles (so you have low fps), or where they're super easy (so the fps are high).

Hope this helps.

It helps, the more information the better

I have my DP cable, but still cant enable Free Sync.

http://imgur.com/fFT0pxB

It helps, the more information the better

I have my DP cable, but still cant enable Free Sync.

http://imgur.com/fFT0pxB
    Have you turned it on in the monitor ?

Enable WQHD ?

144Hz ?

There it is!! wasnt turned on monitor! lol...thanks!!
    These seem to be simple things i really should have known.

From my point of view, each represents for each brand. Freesync for AMD and G-sync for nVidia.

So, to compare which is better, it depends on the brand of the graphics card you choose.