Thread: Power Phases

Power Phases

My board has 8 power phases, would a board with more give me any benefit?

Forgive my ignorance, still learning.

Re: Power Phases

Power phases constitute a little power supply on the motherboard, and they convert the 12V supplied by the (regular) power supply to the voltage required by the CPU (in the neighborhood of 1-1.5V, and can change dynamically). A quality power supply is important for the system as a whole, and the same goes again for the CPUs little dedicated power supply.

More power phases is a good thing because then the load on each power phase is reduced. That means they generate less heat, and that's great because heat makes them less efficient and stable.

Thanks for the reply and good info. Would be going from 8 to 10 or 12 be worth it?
    I feel like i could higher OC's with my CPU and my board might be holding me back.

More superimposed phases(Qx) at source v = SUMx [ vm*cos(w*t + Qx) ] means smaller power-ripple at load.

As stated above, more phases generally = better. What hasn't been addressed is whether or not you'll see any benefit, and in all likelihood the answer is no.

More phases can mean less ripple and more stable currents when load on the CPU increases rapidly, particularly when heavily overclocked where you're at the limit of stability. However, whether or not you'll see a difference depends on how much you're overclocking, how much power your CPU is drawing, and what else might be holding you back. Particularly with modern Intel CPU's based on the 115x sockets and their <100W TDP's, you're just not drawing enough power for a ton of phases to matter. For reference, many GPU designs have 6-8 phase power systems and they can easily be drawing 3x the power of an Intel CPU. I think the importance of many-phase VRM's was also reduced somewhat in Haswell due to the FIVR, though I believe that was removed in broadwell/skylake.

Bottom line: I wouldn't upgrade to get more phases. Its mostly just marketing hype anyway

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Well, lets say if you have more generally would provide a cleaner energy signal and would hold better in high stress situations.
    For example the Z170 OC-Formula has 12 power Phases I believe, which is targeted for those who want to go to extreme oc.