Is Microsoft intentionally sabotaging Wndows Update?

I have a Vista Pro, 7 Pro multiple 8.1 Pro and Home machines and they ALL sit on "checking for updates" with the process using tons of CPU(including about 15% on my 6700K machine).

It doesn't require that much CPU utilization and hours of time for Windows to update. At least it hasn't in the 25 years I've been using Windows.

WTF is with this BS? I have literally just turned off Windows Update because its been behaving like malware, constantly trying to slip in telemetry and 6GB of Windows 10 that I will never install.

Does anyone with more detailed knowledge of this have a good explanation of exactly what Windows Update is doing that requires it to sit there with a relatively large amount of CPU usage for hours?

Everything else works fine. All the computers have different versions of Windows, all are thoroughly checked for malware and the 6700K machine is even a fresh install of 8.1 Pro and has a nice fast SSD and 32GB of RAM.

Re: Is Microsoft intentionally sabotaging Wndows Update?

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-...own-windows-7/

It does seem like MS has some updater software issues with at least Windows 7, but I am not sure on the others. All my clients running 10 report no issues at this time.

And now the problem has hit windows 10 update. Issues of black screens and white rotating dots and not progressing past this. This new anniversary update is making some drivers choke on the new system and causing odd behaviors until the offending item is unplugged, most commonly the mouse and keyboard will release the system to continue installing, go figure. I now have about 6 customers with issues related to the last update. Oh joy.
    Last edited by onetech; 09-28-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: New information from yesterday.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

...and people wonder why I still have some WinXP machines...lol
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-750Ti 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: (off for now, will not boot) Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...

I fired up my old laptop with windows7, update will not work. Wiped hard drive, reinstalled 7, still no update. Downloaded wsusoffline, it updated everything, but windows update still doesn't work.

Don't give up yet---things to do here if have some free time and you want to try:
    Disable software firewalls
    Run MSConfig and disable most of the startup items like AV software, online backups, etc., just for this testing purposes, reboot.
    Run the update troubleshooter - For 7, I think you have to find the Fix It online utilities, for Windows Update issues.
    Start the updater once again and just wait until it errors out and post the error or look it up to see if there are any solutions.
    Hopefully it will process and you can start turning back on the startup items a few at time and see if it goes down when one of these is turned on.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

How to speed up Windows 7 Update scans—forever

i've found it to work with 2 of my win7 machines that i use daily. will do it to the others when i get time.\

ud

If it makes you feel any better, Win10 updates are just as frustrating:

• Anniversary edition destroyed my ability to print wirelessly to my HP printer (two of them, actually). Worked flawlessly before then.
    • Some of the updates have resulted in errors that I just cannot resolve. On two of my machines I had to "refresh" Win10. It's nice that you can choose to save your data files, but any applications you've installed (including several Microsoft updates) are gone. You do get a list of everything that was uninstalled so you can reinstall each application, one at a time. Lovely!

Any time I see I need to restart to install an update I cringe because I have no idea what will break. And sometimes it takes a period of time before you realize it's broken so you can't equate the update to the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    How to speed up Windows 7 Update scans—forever

i've found it to work with 2 of my win7 machines that i use daily. will do it to the others when i get time.\

ud
    I followed that sites instructions, it worked like a CHARM! Thank you for posting the link.

that is or was aggravating. glad i had an answer.

ud

Oh the joys of Windows

I have gone back to windows 8 since windows 10 is bandwidth hogger. Not be able to turn off windows update manually and it is annoying.