Pc crash after the latest Windows update

Hey guys I don't know if this is coincidental or not but after the last Windows 10 update my PC has been acting strange. It will crash when surfing the net and I get the message PC has experienced a problem and needs to restart. After that I get a black screen with the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". This has been happening intermittently all week. Sometimes it happens when it's at idle.
    I am running only my "C" drive with nothing else and it still acts up. Do you think it's a HDD failure or is my OS corrupt?.
    Any ideas are appreciated.

Specs:
    Windows 10 pro 64bit upgrade from 7
    WD Black edition 1tb HDD
    16gb Corsair RAM
    AMD FX8350 black
    XFX R9 380 DD XXX graphics
    GA-990XFA-UD3 gigabyte MB
    Creative Labs sound blaster "Z" series audio.
    Pete

Re: Pc crash after the latest Windows update

Few questions:
    1. From your description, this is an upgrade and not a fresh Win10 install, correct?
    2. Does it only crash when surfing the web, or is it occurring in other instances?
    3. How old is the HDD?
    4. When you get the message to select proper boot device, do you select the HDD and does it recognize it? Or does it say something like bad bood sector...boot manager not found, etc.?
    5. Did you do anything else around the same time the issue arose? New hardware, another application?

I think you've identified the most likely suspects. Hopefully these questions will help you figure out which one is the culprit.

I'm leaning towards a corrupt install. If I understand the scenario, you have Win 7, updated to Win 10, updated to Win 10 Anniversary. That's two massive upgrades which leaves plenty pf opportunity for a flaky OS.

1. Yes it is an upgrade from 7
    2. Surfing the web, at idle, doesn't matter
    3. The HDD is 16 months old however the drive did fail the first quick test I ran and passed the second using WD data lifeguard tools
    4. When the fault occurs I have to reboot the machine and it boots normally until the next event
    5. Nothing new in the machine at all. Just after the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    Few questions:
    So I'm not sure. The drive shows signs of being flaky and the OS seems funky too.
    Maybe I'll RMA the drive and buy a new OS instead of using the upgrade from 7.

1. From your description, this is an upgrade and not a fresh Win10 install, correct?
    2. Does it only crash when surfing the web, or is it occurring in other instances?
    3. How old is the HDD?
    4. When you get the message to select proper boot device, do you select the HDD and does it recognize it? Or does it say something like bad bood sector...boot manager not found, etc.?
    5. Did you do anything else around the same time the issue arose? New hardware, another application?

I think you've identified the most likely suspects. Hopefully these questions will help you figure out which one is the culprit.

I'm leaning towards a corrupt install. If I understand the scenario, you have Win 7, updated to Win 10, updated to Win 10 Anniversary. That's two massive upgrades which leaves plenty pf opportunity for a flaky OS.
    Pete

I ran a test on the drive using WD Data lifeguard tools. A quick test showed a FAIL about 5 mins into the test. I ran it a second time and it passed. Then ran an extended test. After about 5 mins I got a message that there are too many sector errors and then the PC blue screened and restarted. I think I found my problem. I have requested an RMA through Western Digital.
    Thanks for the help btdog.
    Pete