Help! Cannot install DirectX 9.0c & Visual C++ Redistributable in Windows 10... Why?

*** Please see important update on Post #5 ***

I am running a clean installation of Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

New to the OS, I am trying to run some older games that requires DirectX 9.0c dll libraries (such as x3audio1_7.dll or xinput1_3.dll). I have the offline installer of the runtime of DirectX 9.0c (Jun 2010). But running DXSETUP.exe installer just gets stuck at the beginning of the installation. There is no error message or crash. The installer just sits idle until I force close it.

The same situation occurs with runtime of Visual C++ 2012 and 2013 distributable. The installer just gets stuck and refuses to proceed. Yet, no error message is given.

Is this a Windows 10 permission issue? For some reasons, I can't find an answer online elsewhere. This is so frustrating...

Please help!!!
    Last edited by to1337ca; 10-01-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Re: Help! Cannot install DirectX 9.0c & Visual C++ Redistributable in Windows 10... W

Are you running the installers as admin ?

meaning right clicking on the exe file.

Re: Help! Cannot install DirectX 9.0c & Visual C++ Redistributable in Windows 10... W

Are you installing as an administrator ? ie right click on dxsetup and run as admin?

Yes, I am logged in as an admin, and right clicked to install as admin as well.

I am completely baffled. Is there some system protection that is blocking the install? For example, I can install other software like a game or a business application without problem, but if the game or business application has part of its installation some library install, the installer will get stuck.

Help!

An important update.

By chance, I tried to install again the DirectX 9.0c runtime library on my Windows 10 14393 Anniversary Update. This time, I left the machine on for the installer to run overnight. Like before, it appears to be stuck initially at the initializing stage. However, after about ONE HOUR (seriously) later, the installer continued and completed without giving any error message.

Now, I like to troubleshoot why the installer stuck for so long. I am wondering if this has to do with the fact that I am installing the OS on a MacPro1,1 (I wiped the Mac OS X on it and install Windows as if it is just a blank PC). The BootCamp drivers installed OK with the Anniversary update (which was a problem pre 14393 build). I tried the same install using a virtual machine of Windows 10 in VMware Workstation. It installed quickly without waiting for an hour for initialization step to complete.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is?