I'm stumped and need guidance.

Good day all, I once again come back to these outstanding forums for assistance with a computer problem. I am going to go into as much detail as I feel I can give. That way someone hopefully wont ask me if I tried something I already tried.

So, here it goes...

Today, the wife restarted her computer. She says it was doing some AVG update. When it rebooted, there was sound.. you can hear the Windows logo screen sound and a sound from one of her programs that tries to load every time she restarts her computer. From this, I can deduce that her computer is functioning properly. And this is where the problem begins...

Because her monitor says it's in standby mode after the Windows logo screen cycles.

I've tried different cables and I've swapped out monitors with one I'm using to type this message with on a different computer. It acts the same. I've also tried a different (known good) graphics card and also different slots on the motherboard.

I've attempted (when stupid Windows 10 allows me too) to try and boot in selected modes.. I've tried the one where it's supposed to load into low resolution. I've tried safe mode... and in both of these cases, the monitor(s) stay powered up, but their screens are black, which forces me to perform a hard restart.

I've tried unplugging the monitor and pushing and holding the power button for 1 minute (something I read online) and I've tried to same with the computer. I've also pulled the battery out of the computer for a good 3 minutes and still everything acts the same.

I can hear the computer booting up, but can't see anything..

Please help guide me through what could be wrong here and what my next steps are for troubleshooting.

Peace, Defender
    CPU: AMD 1100T Black /Memory 8G Corsair /HD: 160G SSD/Soundcard: On Board /Vid card: e-VGA GTX 960 SSC (1ea) /PSU: Corsair 800W /Case: Antec 900, Windows 7 Pro.

Re: I'm stumped and need guidance.

How is the monitor connected ?

Meaning...are you using a DVI cable ? Display port ? Regular old VGA ? HDMI ?

Try another cable/port type and see if the problem persists.

I agree with mmettin, try different connectors. I would try with the oldest technology first since it should be the most widely supported (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP).

Also, is the computer in your signature the one we're dealing with here? You said it was your wife's computer so could you give us some details?

Quote Originally Posted by Defender1970 View Post
    I've tried different cables and I've swapped out monitors with one I'm using to type this message with on a different computer. It acts the same. I've also tried a different (known good) graphics card and also different slots on the motherboard.
    I did try different cables.. the first one was a VGA with an adapter for the video card and the second was a DVI.. same results..
    CPU: AMD 1100T Black /Memory 8G Corsair /HD: 160G SSD/Soundcard: On Board /Vid card: e-VGA GTX 960 SSC (1ea) /PSU: Corsair 800W /Case: Antec 900, Windows 7 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    Also, is the computer in your signature the one we're dealing with here? You said it was your wife's computer so could you give us some details?
    Sorry, that's not the computer.. hers is an MSI 970 Gaming motherboard with a AMD 8 core processor and my old eVGA 280GTS. It's been working fine up until now.

Ummm... help!

Am I doing something wrong here? In the past I've always got replies super fast here. Is it perhaps my topic title?

Have access to another video card that you could try in her system? That way you can see if it's her card, the slot it's in, etc.

Sam
    Main- ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6/i7-8700k/32 Gb DDR4 /Zotac GTX1080Ti 11Gb/Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb nVme SSD/ samsung 850 EVO 1Tb SSD/ Hitachi 3Tb HDD/Asus BW-12B1ST BD burner/EVGA 750w PSU/Vizio D40u-D1 40" 4K TV/Win 10 Pro x64

Ummm.. Already posted and attempted.

Stolen from here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-ebf4528e1e78

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video to fix the display adapter driver.

Turn off your computer 3 times while booting. Windows should automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
    Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and Restart. When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking (or try Low Resolution Video).
    Open Device Manager and expand Display Adapters.
    If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, right-click the integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200), select Disable and then restart your computer. If that doesn’t work, return to the Display adapter, re-enable the display adapter, and then disable the other adapter.
    If you only see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.

Check the display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver. We are seeing updated drivers from all of the major video chipset manufacturers. So the best driver will often be only days old.

Thanks.. I'll try this again, but I dont think it will work. When I try to boot into Safe mode or low res mode, the monitor does not go into standby mode, but the screen is black and nothing ever comes up on it. I'll try this again in the morning and let you know the results.

Peace, Defender

Well, I reluctantly performed a reinstall (keeping all personal files) and low and behold, the freakin' thing works again. This might just be the weirdest Windows problem I've ever ran across. I would love to know what would make it act that that.. Oh well, it's fixed now.

Thanks, Defender

It really sounds like the anniversary update hosed the PC. I have been dealing with this for several weeks now and have most of my customers running again. By reinstalling, you may have rolled back the drivers and MS admitted today(See Yahoo news) to a less than stellar rollout of the anniversary update. Keep in mind, the update can go through and you can have issues several days later as it tries to finish up or drivers get upset with the changes.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Am I doing something wrong here? In the past I've always got replies super fast here. Is it perhaps my topic title?
    Doing nothing wrong, it's just most forums are struggling to stay alive. It's an egg v. chicken dilemma: are the forums dying because there is no participation...or is no one participating because the forums are dying? Either way, the result is the same - fewer and fewer people are participating.

I don't think anyone was ignoring you. I know I was just now able to circle back on the situation. Good news: I would have told you to do something similar to what you performed. I would have said try Repair first, but you got it up and running.