Question Asus Z170 Getting a new Cache Drive. Need Partition setup advice. Intel 535 120gb ssd

I have the above motherboard. Its running raid 1 and I am using an old Corsair GT ssd that is getting upgraded to a Intel 120gb 535 ssd.

Question is since ISRT only supports up to 60gb cache. How should I partition this cache drive safely? I just want to get it setup right.
    thanks
    Last edited by ~Morphed~; 10-02-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Re: Asus Z170 Getting a new Cache Drive. Need Partition setup advice. Intel 535 120gb

Re: Asus Z170 Getting a new Cache Drive. Need Partition setup advice. Intel 535 120gb

If you have a Z170 board why are you doing a drive cache drive ??

A M.2 drive and/or a regular sata SSD would work much faster

Lets just say I need to use Raid 1 and use WD RE4 Drives. Wouldn't mine upgrading those for faster Raid 1. My last Glace over WD drives offerings confused me a little. M2 card cant be used as a Cache drive.
    Last edited by ~Morphed~; 10-03-2016 at 09:20 AM.

So the Intel 530 120gb drive showed up. All updated firmware and tested no problem. I first split into two partitions and formatted those. Bios would not recognize drive in ISRT control panel. So I cant accelerate. After looking through everything I popped back in the Corsair GT It boots up and it is seen as the cache drive in the raid bios and IRST ofcourse sees it and I am able to accelerate.

Now I have wiped the intel drive clean of everything, went into IRST control panel and the drive is not seen. Ill try a reboot.

How do we prepare a new drive for SSD Cache anyway? I cant find an answer to that anywhere just BS about the other problems.

Reboot: Didnt improve and the Intel SSD is not sitting in a case dock that could be on the ASmedia Sata Controller anyway. The drive is not formatted and not showing in Explorer either.

Bottom Line: How are we supposed to prepare these drive for IRST application ? I actually have a Intel 530 120gb drive.
    OS Raid 1 mechanical.
    Corsair GT 60gb is seen in raid bios and boots as eligible for cache drive acceleration. The Intel DOES NOT.
    Last edited by ~Morphed~; 10-06-2016 at 09:20 PM.

I always thought that RST Acceleration was a type of RAID. That's why you have to have your BIOS/UEFI setup as a RAID device to start with. Then, when you configure the Acceleration in RST, behind the scene, the controller is treating it as a RAID of sorts.

Plus, I thought you had to have one drive and one SSD. Not an SSD and a RAID of drives.

So, I wonder if RST is somehow getting confused when it already sees a RAID setup in your RAID 1 HDDs and it can't create another RAID setup to enable the acceleration.
    If that's the case, I don't know why you would see the Corsair SSD in the first place and be able to enable acceleration.

PROBLEM SOLVED. I went back again into computer management and deleted everything and the partition. Then the drive showed up as a non raid drive. When I got into IRST I WAS Able to pick the drive THIS time and use for acceleration. IRST let me put 64gb for acceleration and the other half just space. Went back to computer management and formatted the 60gb as another partition.

Everything works now. No real clear info about drive prep when it comes to cache. Just a bunch of talk about drives not showing up.
    The intel 530 is significantly faster than the old corsair force gt