Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Hey guys, so yeah, was playing Battlefield 1 just now and one of my 780 Ti's died on me. It was the top card and was pretty damn hot, I'm wondering if it overheated? The problem is this was already a fairly recent warranty return (May/June last year) for a card that is probably becoming increasingly difficult to source.

    I'm wondering if I should bother with another warranty return and hope I can actually get a 780 Ti or just wait for something else?

    I really want to move to a single card solution, but I don't want to move to something that provides less performance. A single 1080 just doesn't look like it can get the frames a SLI 780 Ti setup can get... any ideas on what I should do?

  2. #2
    Joined
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,358

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    I would think that a GTX 1080 is close if not faster in most modern games, especially if you look at minimum frame rates. If VR is a thing for you then the GTX 1080 is a clear winner. And if you can afford it the (Pascal-based) Titan X is certainly faster than the admittedly powerful 780Ti SLI setup. I'd bet the 780Ti's memory (3GBx2) will start to give slight trouble in some of the games out. Theoretically the Kepler SLI setup does crunch numbers very well, but there are some new tricks (some of which both the Maxwell and Pascal, some Pascal only, can do) that help those newer cards in real world performance.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Hey, thanks for the reply.

    Honestly, I'm not overly sold on or interested in VR, just not something that has grabbed me, at least this early. What I'm looking for is the same, if not better performance in a single card, while providing much better (stable) minimum frames at both 1080p and at 4k DSR (I'm currently running a 120hz 1080p monitor but will be upgrading in the near future). From most reviews I've seen, the 1080 just doesn't really hit that level of performance that I was expecting, and would probably be more of a "sidegrade" in my case in most circumstances. I guess I will have to wait until January to see what might be annouced in regards to a potential 1080Ti... a Titan X is just way out of my league on price at the moment.

    Eh, maybe I'm underestimating the performance of the 1080, but it just didn't grab me as the huge increase it was hyped to be, especially coming from something like an SLI 780 Ti setup.

    Thanks for the help, will have to give it some serious thought.

  4. #4
    Joined
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,358

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    What are the games you play the GTX 1080 is not going to provide enough performance at 1080p? Most people would actually say it is overkill and a GTX 1070 will do the job. I think 780Ti SLI vs 980ti/GTX1070 is a lose some win some (usually probably win some) situation, but in newer games the tables are likely to be turned in favour of the newer architecture. This in addition to the SLI actually not even benefiting all games at all (and thus a huge loss for the 780TI SLI setup) and the actual 3GB memory limitation of the 780Ti SLI setup is likely going to cause problems in some situations even though probably less so at 1080p. I'd say a GTX1080 is actually an upgrade. Maybe not a huge upgrade, but still an upgrade and not a 'sidegrade' (as you put it). But a 1080Ti will still naturally be even faster.
    Last edited by Pehu; 10-24-2016 at 12:37 PM.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    186

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    I tend to agree with Pehu. There may be some instances where the 780Ti SLI setup will match (or come close) to the 1080 but I think in most situations the 1080 will have the advantage, especially in 4K gaming.

    There is the issue that some games do not optimize/utilize SLI, but let's contend that SLI will work. In the "best case" scenario, the SLI setup will never give you 2x FPS increase. My general rule is: SLI = (FPS x 2) x .90 (to calculate best case scenario). Using this and looking at the performance numbers at Anandtech.com tells me the 1080 should outperform the SLI setup in most circumstances, in some cases by more than 30%.

    The other point is with 4K gaming. With that many pixel, you need as much GPU RAM as possible. 1080 gives you 8GB; 780Ti SLI gives you 3GB (because of how SLI works, each GPU needs the same data in RAM so they mirror each other and you only have 1x RAM, not 2x). I believe the low RAM would actually hurt the SLI setup more than the GPU processors.

    If it were me, and I'm still playing at 1080p, I would probably stick with the one 780 Ti and wait until the 1080 Ti came out to see specs and price.

    Out of curiosity, what exactly happened to the GPU that died? Have you tried it again to see if it works? If yes, what does it do?

    I've never had a GPU suddenly die on me so I'm just wondering.


    Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Hi btdog and Pehu, sorry for not replying, was busy with a research essay. My main concern is gaming at 1440p when I get my new monitor, and at 4k DSR, which I could do with the SLI 780Ti's but it certainly wasn't a great experience in the latest games.

    Right now, I'm playing at 1080p as I'm down to a single card and will stay that way until the new year and the *fingers crossed* 1080Ti comes around. I might try a warranty return and see what happens, as it is still a couple months away and 1 card is going to be painful.

    As far as the gpu that died, I actually forgot about this, but the same thing happened a couple weeks ago. My computer just shut off and would not reboot. I checked the PSU, motherboard, RAM and then decided on the gpu's. Took the top one out, put lower in top and it turned on again, loaded up fine. Waited a while, tried the other one back in again and it seemed to work ok again... until just a couple days ago.

    I did try this straight away actually after the most recent shut off, but it didn't work. I will try again and see what happens. There was a strange odour coming from it though, directly over the gpu heatsink, so I'm not hopeful.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    Posts
    19

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    "It was the top card and was pretty damn hot, I'm wondering if it overheated?"

    What temps was it getting? Got good air flow in your case? What ambient (room) temp?

    You gotta try to keep temps down to prevent a repeat.

  8. #8
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    These cards have always run really hot, at load they were getting up around the high 80's celsius which is/was completely normal for the Kepler (my bad) series. Case is a Corsair 750D, two intake fans at front, Corsair H100i mounted in top of case in pull config, the pull fan at rear of case is actually broken and needs to be replaced but I don't think it would have much impact on the temps. I'll be getting another fan soon. Ambient temp in room is probably about 25c at most at the moment if not less.

    EDIT: Also, in newer games, I always played with fans at 100%, noisy as hell, but pretty much a requirement when 80+ celsius was the norm.
    Last edited by CaptainCleanoff; 10-31-2016 at 10:01 PM.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,358

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Just to point out the obvious: The GTX780Ti is not part of the Maxwell series of GPUs, but it is rather part of the even older Kepler series.

  10. #10
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,092

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCleanoff View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

    Honestly, I'm not overly sold on or interested in VR, just not something that has grabbed me, at least this early. What I'm looking for is the same, if not better performance in a single card, while providing much better (stable) minimum frames at both 1080p and at 4k DSR (I'm currently running a 120hz 1080p monitor but will be upgrading in the near future). From most reviews I've seen, the 1080 just doesn't really hit that level of performance that I was expecting, and would probably be more of a "sidegrade" in my case in most circumstances. I guess I will have to wait until January to see what might be annouced in regards to a potential 1080Ti... a Titan X is just way out of my league on price at the moment.

    Eh, maybe I'm underestimating the performance of the 1080, but it just didn't grab me as the huge increase it was hyped to be, especially coming from something like an SLI 780 Ti setup.

    Thanks for the help, will have to give it some serious thought.
    I really do think you're underestimating the performance of the 1080. I upgraded from a 290X crossfire setup to a single 1080 and have not found a single game that performed better on the 290X setup than the 1080. In many cases the upgrade was quitelarge, even in games that supported CrossFire. Compared to a 780Ti SLI setup, the 290X CF setup is at least on par, if not ahead by now due to the documented performance gains as a result of AMD's driver optimizations.

    The "wait and see" approach might not be a bad idea at this point, but the 1080 shouldn't be a side-grade, and will have numerous other benefits like better compatibility, smoother performance at the same framerate and much lower power consumption. Unfortunately we don't know when the 1080Ti will hit, if ever and what price point it will be at.

    80C temps are a bit high, but I dont know that I'd point to that as an obvious source of the card dying.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  11. #11
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    Just to point out the obvious: The GTX780Ti is not part of the Maxwell series of GPUs, but it is rather part of the even older Kepler series.
    LOL, you're right. My bad, either way, Kepler ran hot.

  12. #12
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6

    Re: One of my 780Ti's just died... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I really do think you're underestimating the performance of the 1080. I upgraded from a 290X crossfire setup to a single 1080 and have not found a single game that performed better on the 290X setup than the 1080. In many cases the upgrade was quitelarge, even in games that supported CrossFire. Compared to a 780Ti SLI setup, the 290X CF setup is at least on par, if not ahead by now due to the documented performance gains as a result of AMD's driver optimizations.

    The "wait and see" approach might not be a bad idea at this point, but the 1080 shouldn't be a side-grade, and will have numerous other benefits like better compatibility, smoother performance at the same framerate and much lower power consumption. Unfortunately we don't know when the 1080Ti will hit, if ever and what price point it will be at.

    80C temps are a bit high, but I dont know that I'd point to that as an obvious source of the card dying.
    What I've generally been looking at are comparisons between 970 SLI and single 1080, as there are very few comparisons of 780TI SLI available. On average 970 SLI is generally a bit faster than 780TI SLI, especially in newer games, and a single 1080 appears to be running about 5-10 fps faster than 970 SLI. Ofcourse, the minimum frames and general performance are going to be better, but the 4k performance is still not where I was hoping it would be (for when I upgrade my monitor in the near future).

    I agree with the 'wait and see' approach, I'm hoping the rumours of a 1080Ti turn out to be true as that will be my upgrade path, should be cheaper than the Titan X which isn't even available in Australia, and provide a good performance boost.

    Regarding my dead 780Ti, I tried putting it back in my system last night, and the system wouldn't turn on, so it's toast. Strangely, when I put my 'ok' card in, it wouldn't turn on either. I needed to turn PSU off, wait a bit, and try again (it turned on thankfully). My other issue is that I am getting BSOD's now stating "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" as the StopCode and/or Kernel-Power issues with Event ID:41 critical errors which have also caused BSOD's. This all started after the 780Ti crapped itself, so I'm hoping that it didn't fry my motherboard as well. I only got this new motherboard/cpu/ram setup a couple months ago, so I'm scratching my head as to what the hell the issue could be. Every time I try and play a game, I will probably get 15-30 mins in and the PC will BSOD or just lockup needing a reboot... I'm at a loss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •