Can a bad PSU kill UPS batteries?

Got a weird problem. I've got a simple home server setup to host some audio/video files for streaming. Since it doesn't do a whole lot, I've got a Rosewill Capstone 450M PSU in the box. The box is hooked up to a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD UPS. I've only got a switch plugged into the UPS with the server, so there's very little load on it. About three weeks ago I noticed the server was down, went in and found the UPS' LCD screen just kept flashing and nothing on the Battery/UPS side would get power (stuff on the UPS only side did still get power).

I talked to Cyberpower and they said it was likely the batteries had gone bad. The UPS was 5 years old and I happened to have a spare CP1500AVRLCD lying around (also about 5 years old) so I swapped that in, ordered new batteries for the bad UPS unit and called it a day. Well, this morning I woke up to find the server down again, and once again, the LCD was flashing and it looks like the batteries are shot. My initial thought is there's a power problem, but I had specifically plugged this second UPS into a different outlet on a different circuit back when I swapped it in for the other just to make sure it wasn't that.

Could there be any way the PSU is actually killing the batteries, or is it more likely that being 5 years old, these UPS batteries just happened to be at end of life right around the same time?

Any thoughts?

Re: Can a bad PSU kill UPS batteries?

I'm not sure whether it's possible or not but I sure haven't heard of it happening. If anything I would think there's be more risk of a bad UPS damaging the PSU instead of the other way around.

My first guess would be that there's something wrong with the UPS that's not directly related to the battery. Could be that the battery is fine and the UPS just itself just isn't working right. Might be worth checking with support at Cyberpower.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the batteries, because swapping in new batteries on the first unit actually fixed the problem on that. I've got another set coming in (they're only like $30/pair) for the 2nd UPS. My gut is telling me it's just those batteries had about a 5 year life and they're dead.

I did see some youTube vids on being able to refresh/repair those sealed batteries by pulling them apart, changing water, etc., but to be honest, for $30 I'd rather not screw around with having two big batteries that I've half ripped apart in the house.

Update: New batteries showed up yesterday and the unit works fine, so it's the batteries. My guess it's just the batteries reached the end of their lifecycle. So unless one of these new sets suddenly go bad, I think it was just age.
    Last edited by meatballcb; 11-03-2016 at 07:37 AM.

5 years on SLA batteries is past the end of a reasonable life cycle. Anything beyond 3 years is gravy. Any battery issues would most likely be contained to issues within the UPS itself and not the load.
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS Z170-AR i7 6700, 16G RAM - Liquid Cooled
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    System Specifications