Best Mechanical Keyboard for 100/$124

Hello everyone! My name is Adi and I live in the UK and I am a new here at the PC Perspective forums!

I am in the market for a mechanical keyboard. I am going to use it for both work and gaming.

I have a strict budget of 100($124/112), so I can be anything under that but not a penny over).

I've been doing a bit of reading and I think that I would want a keyboard with either a Cherry switch or a Razer switch.

I know that Corsair, Razer, Steelseries and even Cherry do those keyboards so I am trying to stick to the more reputable brands (like the aforementioned ones).

With that being said, what keyboards would you recommend that would fit my requirements?

Please reply soon.

Kind regards,
    Adi from London, UK

Re: Best Mechanical Keyboard for 100/$124

I use a Rosewill which is a few years old now so can't recommend a specific model. You might consider Cherry MX brown switches if you intend to use the keyboard for both work and gaming. The brown switches are considered to be a more balanced switch.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I've been very pleased with my Corsair keyboards. I currently use a K70 RGB w MX Brown switches. I agree with Lenny, in my opinion the MX brown switch is the sweet spot for both gaming and typing, though it can be a matter of preference. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Corsair options w/ brown switches and I believe they should be right around your price range if you skip some of the less useful features (like RGB lighting or MMO macro switches)

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Hello again! I have some good research that I have done. So far these are the candidates for my new mechanical keyboard that fit my requirements:

Corsair K70 Lux Blue
    SteelSeries Apex M500
    Corsair Strafe MX Red
    Corsair Strafe MX Brown
    HyperX Alloy FPS
    ASUS Strix Tactic Pro Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech G610

In thinking about it the deal breaker about the Cherry MX Blue switches are that they can make a lot of noise (from what I have read).

As such I am thinking that either cherry MX red or Cherry MX brown would be the way to go for me.

I looked at the Das Keyboards and they are good but they fall outside of my budget (even if I can get it with a UK layout).

With that in mind, can anyone reading this post think of any models that they like in the above list or other candidates that they could add to this list?

Here are a few Rosewill keyboards with brown switches. They would be more basic with less frills than some other brands but mine has been very reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Prod...CH&isdeptsrh=1
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I had a look and am not sure about the Rosewill keyboards. Other than the user reviews there doesn't seem to be any review sites on the web that have covered the RK-9000v2.

In any case so far my candidate list is as follows:
    Cooler Master Master Keys
    Cooler Master Quickfire TK
    Logitech G610 Orion Brown
    and the Corsair Strafe

All of them seem to be good keyboards from the reviews that I have seen and have roughly the same scores (only a range of a point between them out of 10). My gut is telling me it's either the Logitech or the Corsair Strafe but I don't know if I should declare the cooler master keyboards out of the mix.

It looks like you have some good planks already, but I'd throw in the Logitech G710+.

It has Cherry Brown switches. The palm rest is detachable if you don't want it. I use the palm rest and while you'd think it was flimsy and not very secure when you attach it, it actually holds onto the keyboard pretty well.

Last year (and I think they're doing it again this year), Best Buy had 50% off Logitech accessories (including keyboards and headphones). I picked up a Logitech G910 Orion Spark for $90 (my box says Spark but this one says Spectrum; They look identical so it's possible it's just a change in name and not product).

Hope this helps.

btdog: Good suggestions but they are over my 100/$125 limit. I know that you would like me to go raise that limit but rules are rules and I must stick to it. Right now I just need help to narrow down the the 4 keyboards to just 1.

Well I need a full size keyboard so that eliminates the Cooler Master QuickFire TK. Having less key rollover could be an issue for me. Whilst the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L can automatically switch to N Key rollover that's something I don't want to worry about.

As such we are down to two "finalists": The Logitech G610 Orion Brown and the Corsair Strafe. Again, both are good keyboards from what I have read. Which one should I go for?

I know that the final choice must be mine but I am having a hard time choosing between them. Other than the fact that the Strafe has keys that jut out more than the Logitech G610 from what I have seen in pictures, the only other difference to me is that the G610 has white LEDs whilst the strafe has Red LEDs.

The search is over. After much deliberation, I ended up going with the Logitech G610 Orion Brown. The Corsair Strafe was a good keyboard and had nice red backlighting but the keys seemed to jut out a little more than the Logitech one.

Additionally I know that Logitech make good keyboards so I can relax knowing that Logitech is brand that I can trust.

If anyone is interested I will write back with my opinion in terms of what my experience was like using it.

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone for their suggestions/recommendations

Sorry about my suggestions - I missed that you were in the UK.

Good luck with your new keyboard and please update this thread with your thoughts once you've tried it out.