Thread: Intel Kaby Lake

Intel Kaby Lake

Intel flagship i7-7700K

1) I have not read any proof that Kaby Lake is an "overclocked Skylake". Can anyone indicate this or any documentations?

2) Skylake is 95 watts, and Kaby Lake is 95 watts, and both are 14nm. I see some showing "91 watts"?

3) Latest data shows that Kaby Lake is hotter than Skylake. Is it only because it's higher clock, thats all? Not an "optimization" then?

4) What is optimum temperature range for these CPU? I am speaking of STOCK speed (as Kaby Lake is rated at 4.2GHz). I am planning to use air cooling. Suggestions:

idling ("screensaver" at 20 minutes, "hibernate" at 2 hours)
    normal (Office, Internet, etc)
    heavy (Adobe photo/movie editing)
    gaming (self-gaming, not online with other players).

I am planning to start a new long-due build. I only have one family PC, so I like to start another build for editing movies, as well website (with Visual Studio). I am looking at Z270 MB, with 16GB RAM (good enough?), 750W PSU, and probably SSD (instead of M.2). To start, I will use onboard GPU, until if I get enough funds to buy a 1080 (or 1070)??? And finally, no choice... Win10.

Chuck

Re: Intel Kaby Lake

Chuck -

1) & 2) Intel indicates Skylake is a 91w TDP and though the final numbers for Kaby Lake have not been released, Tom's Hardware indicates it will be a 95w TDP. If true, someone could reasonably argue that the slight increase in TDP gives Intel the room use higher voltage to gain MHz on Kaby Lake, which is exactly what's done when someone OC's a CPU.

3) Ryan did a really good write up discussing the primary "under the hood" optimization where the CPU is now managing its speed (as opposed to the OS). This allows for faster response and a quicker and more sustained "burst" of speed when a process starts. Check it out.

4) According to the Intel link above, the maximum temperature for Skylake is 64C (~147F). Now, there's a difference between optimum temperature range and maximum temperature, to which I would say the optimum temperature range would be the colder, the better.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    1) & 2) Intel indicates Skylake is a 91w TDP and though the final numbers for Kaby Lake have not been released, Tom's Hardware indicates it will be a 95w TDP. If true, someone could reasonably argue that the slight increase in TDP gives Intel the room use higher voltage to gain MHz on Kaby Lake, which is exactly what's done when someone OC's a CPU.
    I see the point... thanks. And yet, as reviews says so, the Kaby Lake oveclocks higher than Skylake as well. Rumors also saying there will be a second Kaby Lake, not sure what's with that (I am guess it's just prolonging it's 14nm until if Intel ever can get lower to 10nm).

Chuck -

4) According to the Intel link above, the maximum temperature for Skylake is 64C (~147F). Now, there's a difference between optimum temperature range and maximum temperature, to which I would say the optimum temperature range would be the colder, the better.

Hope this helps
    I can hardly believe that 64C number. I remember not too long ago when 64C wasn't a bad temp at all on a stock cpu browsing the internet!
    “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984

I am looking at Z270 MB, with 16GB RAM (good enough?), 750W PSU, and probably SSD (instead of M.2). To start, I will use onboard GPU, until if I get enough funds to buy a 1080 (or 1070)??? And finally, no choice... Win10.
    At least, better buy the Kaby Lake over the Skylake. I plan to start a new build next year anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukart View Post
    7700k overclocked to 7Ghz!
    Well...after he disabled Hyperthreading...and two cores. So it's really just a super fast i3. The 7GHz loses much of its luster once you read the qualifiers.

Most typical users should get to 4.8/4.9 pretty consistently. I think Ryan got lucky with 5.1.

Well...after he disabled Hyperthreading...and two cores. So it's really just a super fast i3. The 7GHz loses much of its luster once you read the qualifiers.

Most typical users should get to 4.8/4.9 pretty consistently. I think Ryan got lucky with 5.1.
    Par for the course for extreme OC'ing really, these super high LN2 clocks are so esoteric that its not like it matters how many cores are enabled since none of them could be daily driver OC's anyway. I think you're right that Ryan got a good sample. Was hoping the magic 5.0 would be pretty consistent, but sadly it looks like thats going to be above average at least.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present