GMAIL Alternative?

I am tired of the shenanigans of GMAIL locking me out of my account which seems like a ploy to 'link' my cellphone to it.

I ONLY sign in from my PC in the same way for years, but without fail, it seems like every week I get the following: 'There is something odd about he way you're signing in' 'Link your Samsung....' Then they won't let me access my email unless I jump through their overly-intrusive hoops. So I just close it, forget about it, and a day or two later I can sign in the same way I always do.

When ever I buy a new Android device I am told I need a gmail account so I give them the acct I've had for 10 years. When I get locked out of Gmail, sometimes I will check my mail on on my phone and they let me in no problem. They obviously know this email acct has something to do with this phone so why they want me so badly to 'link' the two seems strange, and is the reason I refuse to do it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm tired of all the 'smart' stuff getting all up in my business.

I've searched online and find what looks to be paid advertisements for one or another email service or forum threads from years ago. Can anyone recommend a free alternative to this Big Brother darling?
    Antec 1200
    Windows7 Professional
    ASUS M4A89 TD Pro USB3

AMD Phenom II 1090T x6
    GSKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    2x XFX 6870 HD
    Matrox TripleHead2Go digital
    3x LG L1951S 19" LCD
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi Platinum (not installed due to Win7 incompatibility)
    Corsair TX850W Power Supply
    WD SATA 150GBRaptor 16MB 10K RPM

2x WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    RAID1

Re: GMAIL Alternative?

Not sure how much less Big Brother it is but there is outlook.com

BTW, I've used gmail for years as well but have never had the problems you describe. It just works like any other email for me.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I have an android phone and never let it receive emails. If I have to check email on it, I always do it through Firefox and sign out as soon as I'm done. Same goes for Youtube. I don't use the built-in app. I don't know if that has anything to do with getting locked out or not, but its really annoying.

Several years ago Google took it upon itself to integrate the contacts on my phone with the ones in my email. My contacts list was a mile long after that with just email addresses as names. It reminded me of the time Windows Media Player decided to delete some of my MP3's. I can organize and manage my own stuff, but thx tech giants!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, but Microsoft is also on my naughty list. I was hoping to find an Edward Snowden making suggestions somewhere on the web.
    Antec 1200
    Windows7 Professional
    ASUS M4A89 TD Pro USB3

AMD Phenom II 1090T x6
    2x XFX 6870 HD
    3x LG L1951S 19" LCD

RAID1

There is a simple I believe family run email service called Computermail that I used for many years before making the switch to gmail. Perhaps it might be more to your liking.

http://www.computermail.net
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

you can use outlook.com by msn, but you can never deny using google. Google has spread it's wings virtually everywhere that you need atleast on gmail account.

MSN? I'm talking about privacy and security and it sounds like you guys have never heard of Ed Snowden.

THIS is along the lines of what I was angling for...

https://tutanota.com/
    Antec 1200
    Windows7 Professional
    ASUS M4A89 TD Pro USB3

AMD Phenom II 1090T x6
    2x XFX 6870 HD
    3x LG L1951S 19" LCD

RAID1

Ive used mail.com they dont demand mobile number, have you thought about just using a pay as you go sim card number, for gmail, i use one to give out numbers to untrusted sites

I think I have a mail.com acct. I signed up years ago for graffiti.net mail and after not having used it in years when I go there it redirects to, I believe, mail.com. I don't remember my password so that one is effectively done.

The day google demands a phone number is the last time I ever use it. I don't know who you're giving your number to, but outside of credit card purchasing purposes, I see no reason why any site should require it.

A few years ago the 1000th person told me I 'need' to get on facebook. I did and had a single 'friend'. The acct sat idle 99.999999999999% of the time and a few months after opening it, I was informed by FB that my acct had been 'hacked' and the only way to reinstate it was to provide a photocopy of a govt issued ID. After informing FB tech support that in order to do so I would require a photocopy of their govt issued ID so I know their acct hadn't also been compromised, I told them to just delete the acct since it had become useless. Is there any truth to the suggestion that FB was started with CIA money?

As far as email goes, Lavabit looks to be making a comeback.

https://lavabit.com/
    Antec 1200
    Windows7 Professional
    ASUS M4A89 TD Pro USB3

AMD Phenom II 1090T x6
    2x XFX 6870 HD
    3x LG L1951S 19" LCD

RAID1

Quote Originally Posted by maddoggXP View Post
    MSN? I'm talking about privacy and security and it sounds like you guys have never heard of Ed Snowden.

THIS is along the lines of what I was angling for...

https://tutanota.com/
    If you guys are worried about your privacy you probably wanna check out that list:
    https://www.privacytools.io/#email

The problem is, that I'm mostly using all the stuff they mention in "If you are currently using X, Y or Z you should pick an alternative here.". I know I should change it but... I'm too comfortable with staying on facebook, gmail etc...

buy a sim put in your phone, then give the number to gmail, take out the sim remember to keep the sim, in case they demand you use the number for some reason