Used Xeon Processors

What thoughts do you guys have on used Xeon processors? I was looking at: http://www.natex.us/Used-Servers-s/1846.htm

For $75, the 2.6 GHz 8 core is looking pretty appealing. Maybe get a dual CPU workstation board and get a 16 core machine out of it? I already have a Z10PE-D8 for a server I run and I've been happy with it. Maybe get myself a Z10PE-D16? (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z10PED16_WS/)

I've been kind of wanting to do a setup where my wife and I could use the same computer for gaming. I'd install Unraid and run two virtualized copies of Windows 10 for us. Is the 2.6 GHz just not enough horsepower? Does the multiple CPUs and cores help make up for it? I know CPU isn't too important for gaming, but what about VR?

I'd love to hear any general thoughts anybody has.

Re: Used Xeon Processors

I think I may have answered my own question. The CPU I was looking at doesn't support DDR4...

Really depends on what you're looking for. If you want to game I would steer you away, because the low single core clocks and older architecture mean you're at a major disadvantage vs a modern single socket desktop chip. 2.6ghz just isn't enough single threaded juice to get the job done in games that don't typically scale much past 4 threads. If you're looking to do many parallel tasks or something that can really use the cores/threads, older xeon chips might be a good alternative since you're going to end up with a lot more cores than you could get if you were buying new.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Thanks for the advice! I'm really wishing that AMD would step their game up. I used to buy exclusively AMD chips, but I just can't go that way with what they currently are offering.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeBrodine View Post
    I used to buy exclusively AMD chips, but I just can't go that way with what they currently are offering.
    There is good news on the horizon - Ryzen is just around the corner.

Which one is better Xeon or Core i7?

Quote Originally Posted by manikbhola View Post
    Which one is better Xeon or Core i7?
    Probably depends on what your use case is. Do you want something that needs a lot of single thread power or something that is threaded and can take advantage of lots of cores?

I would wait to see the results of Ryzen. Trust me I am ready to bite the bullet to get Intel but I know it will be a mistake if I do not wait.
    God said let there be Light and then there was AMD!

Heat

I am just looking to build a hardcore editing pc.

i just built a duel cpu workstation, video editing, gaming rig ... it works amazingly. This is my first dual CPU rig and i dont think i will ever go back to a single CPU system. Even being a few generations behind, you just cant beat the multi-tasking and computing power of 16 cores, 32 threads, and 64 GB of RAM.

Its not the most modern, most up to date cutting edge rig ... but i totaled out around $1500 by basing it off of an existing workstation (HP Z620).

Granted, because of its age, i can only upgrade to the V2 family of Xenons because of the age of the motherboard ... but when i do upgrade, it will be years down the line and i will budget for a more current motherboard/ CPUs solution then. I honestly dont think i will see the need to upgrade within the next 5 years. I can upgrade the graphics and i can upgrade ram, but CPU compute power is pretty well covered for me.

2x Xenon E5-2690
    64 GB DDR3 1600
    currently a Quadro 600