not sure what to upgrade next, i have no goals

im not planning to upgrade soon, i just have no idea whats my weakest link here. whats worth my time. im thinking cpu? im gonna get a bigger ssd soon, i know the 250gb is kinda smaller for gaming.
    msi z170 pro lga 1151 motherboard
    intel i3-6100 3.7 ghz cpu
    msi geforce gtx 1050 ti 4gb grahpics card
    Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache hdd
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB ssd
    Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) ram
    SeaSonic SSR-350ST 350W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811353088 case

Re: not sure what to upgrade next, i have no goals

Welcome to the forums.

What would your goal be if you upgraded ?

What resolution is your monitor ?

I see a few things I would upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    I see a few things I would upgrade.
    I totally agree - looking at the specs, this is an upgrader's dream.

If this is/was meeting your needs, then you built about as perfect of an upgradeable computer as possible. With well timed upgrades, I could easily see this computer lasting you for years to come.

I am so impressed with this build - I salute you, drost42.

For gaming, I think your CPU if not overclocked, is holding back your video card somewhat. I5/I7 is the only upgrade I see at the moment. I still game heavily on my I3 but I have it OC'd to 4GHz to help.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

I would definitely get an i5 in there for gaming. Maybe new Kaby Lake 7600k if your Mobo can take the new chip (Most Z170 boards can with a BIOS update) or a cheaper 6600k would be just as good in games.

I might also think of adding another 8GB ram, though that isn't essential right now but would help. How are your drives configured? Which drive are you using for your OS and which for games/data. I have my OS on an M.2 drive as I recently upgraded myself and I used my old SSDs for gaming drives. I have a 2TB drive for any other rubbish/downloads etc.. Personally, I don't think you need much more than 500GB SSD for games as I have approx 18 games installed on my 500GB SSD (Steam based Games, approx 80GB free) and I cant play them all at the same time so don't see the point. It also makes me install them, play them and in the case of single player games...actually finish them, then uninstall them. I have another 256GB SSD for Origin/GoG etc.. but it's mostly for Battlefield 4 and 1 and Elite Dangerous...I may up that to 500GB SSD when prices drop again. All of it runs fast and loads fast and that is what matters...oh and I enjoy my games and don't get bogged down with looking at frame rates as long as the game runs well. Too many people get hitched on frame rate numbers these days. Saying that I just noticed the 1050Ti and probably would have either gone for an Nvidia 6GB 1060 or if you dont mind which vendor an AMD 8GB RX480 for 1080P gaming at it's best. Both those cards are great for 1080P gaming. Hope your upgrade goes well
    Last edited by maonayze; 01-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Without a budget I don't know what advice to give you

I disagree with everyone saying i5/i7 first because even though the CPU looks like the low hanging fruit, you're almost definitely still GPU limited in anything newer, even at 1080. The difference between a quad and 2C/4T chip is only going to really show with a bigger GPU, and you'll spend $250 on a CPU to gain <10% performance when you could spend the same money on a 480 or 1060 and get even bigger gains.

That said, its really hard to make suggestions on upgrades without a budget because I don't know if you're asking for tweaks or major upgrades

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I don't think that CPU will bottle neck a better GPU like a GTX 1060/RX480 much, if you get a better CPU your still be stuck at 1050ti speeds

GPU is always the best bang for the buck upgrade in a gaming PC, especially since a new processor will probably mean a new motherboard and RAM, but maybe not in your case.

Are there any games that aren't running well that you want to fix? If you are getting the performance you want, then there's no need to upgrade.

That PSU may be an issue soon if you get a beefier card and CPU. I'd also add at least a 512gb SSD for game installs.