14 inch Carrizo / Bristol Ridge vs GT940M

Hi, first post but a long time reader of news articles and the forum.

With CES and the exciting news about affordable GTX 1050Ti machines (Dell and Acer) I started to look whats available right now as a bridge to those models when they become widely available in 14 inch formfactors. That last thing is very important for me; i absolutely love the format and never going back to 15.6 (also have a 23 inch gaming desktop).

Currently, I own a Lenovo Flex 2 14D from 2014 with the AMD Beema A8 6410 (Puma cores) plus a dedicated R5 M230 GPU. It does the job and was a great deal at that time for 450, but chances are I have to resort to my notebook more often starting at 2H2017 so I want some more mobile gaming power in case I need it. I started searching for AMD Bristol Ridge models (FX9800P and A12-9700P) but couldn't find a single 14 incher with a friendly price tag (~550 USD/EUR). That took me back to Carrizo, since the silicon is almost identical. I was able to locate a rare Lenovo part with an FX8800p and dedicated R5 M330 (probably works in AMD DX config as well) for ~480USD which is quite a bargain imo. In GFX power, it would be a decent upgrade from my A8 6410+R5 M230.

But of course, I had to extend my vision to the blue/green camp as well (more sympathatic to AMD but I'm aware they are not always competitive). I don't really care about CPUs and Intel HD Graphics, so leave those. Nvidia starts to become interesting with their GT940M / MX part, which is a bit more expensive but also a bit more powerful than the AMD DX configs (found Asus K401 for 600USD ex shipping).

The question is basically; am I missing some great inbetween offer or are these two indeed my options? And, anyone care to explain why GT940M gets better fps results than R8 350DX (fx8800p r7 carrizo+r5 m330) while AMD has a lot more shader cores available (512+320 vs 320)? On paper, one would expect the AMD combo to kick Nvidias ass but according to notebookcheck statistics that is not really the case.

Love to discuss those subjects with you guys

Re: 14 inch Carrizo / Bristol Ridge vs GT940M

mpc007 -

Welcome to the forums - jump right in.

It's interesting - you like the 14" form factor, and I'm "go big, or go home" (typing on a 17" MSi laptop and my desktop monitors are 32"). I think 15" is too small, though I did just purchase a 15" laptop and the other factors are making it more appealing, including weight.

Anyways! On to your question. I'm not well versed in lower end discrete GPUs for laptops, and I'm not sure where you're getting your stats (512+320 vs 320...?) it looks like each GPU has multiple variants. The r8 350 has two; the 940M has up to four if you include the 940MX versions. So depending on the exact GPUs you're comparing, you're going to see different performance and results. Problem is: since manufacturer documentation is so weak, you probably won't know the exact GPU in either laptop until you actually get it.

One thing you may want to try is looking for a used laptop on craigslist or whatever is available. 14" is a tough form factor to find but you might find a laptop with an nVidia 960M that could be in that price range. Locally, we have a company that re-purposes business computers and I found an Ivy Bridge i7 quad core laptop with an nVidia Quadro GPU for $400. That could be another option.

Hope this helps.

Re: 14 inch Carrizo / Bristol Ridge vs GT940M

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    mpc007 -

Welcome to the forums - jump right in.

It's interesting - you like the 14" form factor, and I'm "go big, or go home" (typing on a 17" MSi laptop and my desktop monitors are 32"). I think 15" is too small, though I did just purchase a 15" laptop and the other factors are making it more appealing, including weight.

Anyways! On to your question. I'm not well versed in lower end discrete GPUs for laptops, and I'm not sure where you're getting your stats (512+320 vs 320...?) it looks like each GPU has multiple variants. The r8 350 has two; the 940M has up to four if you include the 940MX versions. So depending on the exact GPUs you're comparing, you're going to see different performance and results. Problem is: since manufacturer documentation is so weak, you probably won't know the exact GPU in either laptop until you actually get it.

One thing you may want to try is looking for a used laptop on craigslist or whatever is available. 14" is a tough form factor to find but you might find a laptop with an nVidia 960M that could be in that price range. Locally, we have a company that re-purposes business computers and I found an Ivy Bridge i7 quad core laptop with an nVidia Quadro GPU for $400. That could be another option.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah, 14 inch is the sweetspot for me. 15 inch makes it just too big of a device to hold in one hand, flip on its side, etcetera. Of course, 14 inch models with a 15 inch screen are also okay (Dell XPS).

I'm getting my stats via Notebookcheck. The little sum of 512+320 = the added shader cores of the integrated r7 carrizo (which has 512) and the dedicated r5 m330 (which has 320) when functioning in AMD DX Dual Graphics (which changes the name of the Crossfire setup to R8 M350DX). Nvidia GT940 exists in multiple variants, true. But performance wise, the regular part and the MX version are very close. Larger difference would be made by the use of GDDR5 memory, but OEMS always pick DDR3. So my question was about the performance between AMDs DX setup versus a regular DDR3 GT940 (which has 384 shaders). AMD should be faster because the total shader count is 832 vs 384, but that is not what the results on notebookcheck say. Hence me being puzzled.

I know 14 inch is a tough formfactor.. Loads of interesting 15 inch models dont make it to 14, and sometimes when they do they lose their discrete gpus. Thanks for the tip about craigslist.