New Birth to gaming

Hello all, it's been years since I have been on this forum. Kids are now graduated and left the nest. Now it's gaming time.

First let me apologize in advance for needing to ask questions, because I have not kept up with the what's new with system components for gaming (Motherboard, processor, memory). I still have a few working parts from my old system build which I will list.

Why I am asking for your advice vs doing the homework myself, is my girlfriend has an allowance for ordering a pc. She needs to make the order by Friday. She knows my pc is dead and is outdated and said if I need the core parts to get it up and running, I can include it with her order. So I need a motherboard, intel processor, and good memory. However, you know how it is it has to all be compatible. Or at least back in the day everything had to be like that, especially memory.

My old build was:

MSI K9N SLI Platinum AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans Single-Core 2.4 GHz Socket AM2 62W ADA3800
    2•x•CORSAIR 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS1GB667D2
    1 x GIGABYTE GeForce 6800 DirectX 9 GV-N68128DH 128MB 256-Bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    1 x Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Games I would play are battlefield type games. I still have two ata harddrives, and one ide harddrive (don't laugh). I will probably get a Solid State drive since I need to install a new OS (windows 10). My system right now doesn't boot anylonger.

Possible new build:

MSI or Asus motherboard
    Intel Core i5
    DDR4
    Old GeForce 6800 or What would you recommend (resonable)
    Old Antec Sonata case
    New Harddrive ?

I have no idea how to pick the processor socket with mother board. Any help would be much appreciated.

Semper Fi

Re: New Birth to gaming

Welcome to the forums, sgtpilsner. Glad to see you're back into gaming.

As for the computer, try pcpartpicker.com. They have several suggested builds for most price ranges. Better yet, you can build a PC using their, well, part picker and it helps with compatibility (if you select an intel CPU, it will suggest intel compatible motherboards).

Here's a ~$1000 build that I through together knowing you wanted an i5 and MSi motherboard. Feel free to use this as a starting point, or begin anew.

I didn't include a case since you said you'd use your old one but I'm not a fan of the Sonata line because (if I remember correctly) the cooling is limited and doesn't it use 80/92mm fans? Most newer cases use 120/140mm fans which allow more airflow at lower (read quieter) speeds.

Also, Newegg has the MSi Armor RX 480 4GB GPU for $160 AR (heck, even $185 is a good price).

Hope this helps and let us know what you selected.

Re: New Birth to gaming

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    Welcome to the forums, sgtpilsner. Glad to see you're back into gaming.

Here's a ~$1000 build that I through together knowing you wanted an i5 and MSi motherboard. Feel free to use this as a starting point, or begin anew.

Hope this helps and let us know what you selected.
    Thank you so much, I am on that site as I type. Thank you also for taking the time to put together a quick build for me..

Cheers!