Hello all, it's been years since I have been on this forum. Kids are now graduated and left the nest. Now it's gaming time.

First let me apologize in advance for needing to ask questions, because I have not kept up with the what's new with system components for gaming (Motherboard, processor, memory). I still have a few working parts from my old system build which I will list.

Why I am asking for your advice vs doing the homework myself, is my girlfriend has an allowance for ordering a pc. She needs to make the order by Friday. She knows my pc is dead and is outdated and said if I need the core parts to get it up and running, I can include it with her order. So I need a motherboard, intel processor, and good memory. However, you know how it is it has to all be compatible. Or at least back in the day everything had to be like that, especially memory.

My old build was:

MSI K9N SLI Platinum AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans Single-Core 2.4 GHz Socket AM2 62W ADA3800
2•x•CORSAIR 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS1GB667D2
1 x GIGABYTE GeForce 6800 DirectX 9 GV-N68128DH 128MB 256-Bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
1 x Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Games I would play are battlefield type games. I still have two ata harddrives, and one ide harddrive (don't laugh). I will probably get a Solid State drive since I need to install a new OS (windows 10). My system right now doesn't boot anylonger.

Possible new build:

MSI or Asus motherboard
Intel Core i5
DDR4
Old GeForce 6800 or What would you recommend (resonable)
Old Antec Sonata case
New Harddrive ?

I have no idea how to pick the processor socket with mother board. Any help would be much appreciated.

Semper Fi