Thumbs down Bait & switch fraud by amazon

Read below for $110 to $170 price-bump on "purchased" vidcard. The name for such a business practice is **bait & switch** Nice work Amazon!

Hello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers. Please visit the detail page for this item below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00966IREK

If you took advantage of a promotional offer when placing this order, this cancellation may affect your order's eligibility for that offer. If this is the case, please contact customer service:

http://www.amazon.com/contact-us?ref=fxm_em_2_4

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
    http://www.amazon.com/customer-service?ref=fxm_em_2_4
    ==============================
    Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account?ref=fxm_em_2_4

Re: Bait & switch fraud by amazon

I'm confused. You bought a graphics card that is several years old on Amazon that was sold by Amazon and had your order cancelled? I doubt it. It was either a stock keeping error or a third party sale.

Also, a bait and switch is when you bought a product and they send you something inferior. In this case they didn't send you anything and refunded your money so it is *not* a bait and switch. This kind of thing happens with retailers all the time. The price increase isn't the first party price and is completely outside of Amazon's control

Do yourself a favor and buy a new GPU instead, the 660 is ancient. Even if you want it for SLI you'd be better off spending the money on a 1050Ti or a little more and getting a RX470. It'll be faster than 2x660, have more features, and no SLI related headaches
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 01-11-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Your description of "bait & switch" tactics is wrong ... it's a business-poodles description. How much Amazon pay you to obscure ? B&S depends not-a-bit on factors you mention. You advertise, you sell, you then claim no supply and advise an up-priced substitute --- THAT's B&S! Look it up pad're. Note the dates also, for my shipment was passed-due as AMAZON pimped its **PRIME** buyers. Now the gtx660 is plug-n-play with Ubuntu ... hi-value / low cost / validated performance ... not so the gtx 1050 Ti having beta-only drivers and producing inferior performance. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercityratkat View Post
    Your description of "bait & switch" tactics is wrong ... it's a business-poodles description. How much Amazon pay you to obscure ?
    What exactly are you trying to say here?

B&S depends not-a-bit on factors you mention. You advertise, you sell, you then claim no supply and advise an up-priced substitute --- THAT's B&S! Look it up pad're. Note the dates also, for my shipment was passed-due as AMAZON pimped its **PRIME** buyers.
    Fine, fair enough. I don't think I'd be alone in thinking you weren't exactly hard done by. I still don't see a first party Amazon listing for that product, so any pricing you're seeing for the same product is pricing set by a third party... not by Amazon... So again I think that falls outside the true definition of a bait and switch.

Now the gtx660 is plug-n-play with Ubuntu ... hi-value / low cost / validated performance ... not so the gtx 1050 Ti having beta-only drivers and producing inferior performance. Look it up.
    I don't know anything about the 1050 Ti on Linux and you didn't mention it anywhere in the OP, so not sure how you expect me to know that you wanted it on Linux. Bottom line is that the 660 is old tech and the price you wanted to pay in the first place is overpriced. SLI on Windows is enough of a headache, I would fully expect it to be even worse on Linux. I was merely trying to save you the hassle of dealing with it by suggesting what is likely a higher performing solution in your price range.

Trust me, I do science

Your description of "bait & switch" tactics is wrong ... it's a business-poodles description. How much Amazon pay you to obscure ? B&S depends not-a-bit on factors you mention. You advertise, you sell, you then claim no supply and advise an up-priced substitute --- THAT's B&S! Look it up pad're. Note the dates also, for my shipment was passed-due as AMAZON pimped its **PRIME** buyers. Now the gtx660 is plug-n-play with Ubuntu ... hi-value / low cost / validated performance ... not so the gtx 1050 Ti having beta-only drivers and producing inferior performance. Look it up.
    Recent AMD GPUs work out of the box using the AMDGPU driver under Linux. If you need more special features (full feature set), you just install the AMDGPU-PRO driver stack which is simple these days and will generally out perform the Nvidia driver stack.

In all my due-diligence reading you are the 1st/only person to claim AMD graphics cards perform P-n-P with Linux. Everyone else forever says they suxxxxx. I want Toms and /. and Phoronix to scream **SUPPORTED** before I spend $0.05 on an AMD card for Ubuntu. As for the well-seasoned gtx660 ... it's aged gracefully ... you ought to know that! It outperforms the post-modern gtx750 and gtx 1050 and cost 1/2 to 1/3 std. pricing for a used model --- good over the next 4 years. I pay attention to max-value products.

AMD is getting better on Linux, but Nvidia is still by far the way to go if you need a dedicated card for Linux.

That said, Pretty much all Nvidia cards work well on Linux with the Proprietary drivers. I'd still stay away from the brand new bleeding edge hardware, but that's just me. Has nothing to do with Linux vs Windows.

As for bait and switch. Yea that wasn't one. Inventory errors happen all the time. They realized they didn't have it, informed you and refunded you. Nothing wrong with that. The higher price is because Amazon no longer has one, so that is the price from a third party seller. Amazon doesn't control their prices.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

Yeah - it was probably a 3rd party that couldn't supply it so the canceled you order.

Just as Activate AMD said.

CS & PG:

Yes and in both cases AMAZON is responsible for bait-and-switch behavior: may I repeat --- if you sell a product, take payment , then claim you have no availability , but do at a higher price-point ... then that IS the definition of bait & switch. You gents both work for AMAZON or just -whipped consumers ?

CS & PG:

Yes and in both cases AMAZON is responsible for bait-and-switch behavior: may I repeat --- if you sell a product, take payment , then claim you have no availability , but do at a higher price-point ... then that IS the definition of bait & switch. You gents both work for AMAZON or just •••••-whipped consumers ?
    Again, the insinuation that anyone here who is just trying to have meaningful dialogue is somehow working for Amazon to discredit you is plain insulting. You have been refunded your money, you have not received an inferior product or been charged a higher price. You are trying to buy a card that has been out of production for several years and stock is going to be spotty and limited at best. Again, Amazon is not responsible for third party pricing. They offered you a third party option and you took it and the third party failed to deliver. I'm sure in Amazon's TOS you'll find that they were well in their rights to take the course of action they did. This just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Trust me, I do science