Asus Maximus VIII Hero and Intel RST

Hey all, I'm building my new rig now and I'm wondering if I should use rapid storage or not. I seem to remember Allyn saying you should always enable it in a pod but with all my various drives I'm not sure. I have the following drives:
    960 evo M.2 500g
    2x 850 evo 500g
    840 evo 250g
    1tb spinner

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

Re: Asus Maximus VIII Hero and Intel RST

I really wish I could help, but RST has changed so much since it was initially offered I am out of touch with what it can/can't do.

I found a recent product information document from Intel but after reading it I was more confused as to what it can do than before.

Let us know what you find out and what you end up doing. Good luck!

Re: Asus Maximus VIII Hero and Intel RST

I have tested it with and without but only in terms of gaming nothing multi-threaded (per say) and I noticed zero difference. Most forums will say you don't need it unless you have multiple SSD/Spin drives in raid etc. One thing I did notice is that in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers - if you don't install it then it merely says "Standard Microsoft IDE/SATA controller" whereas if you have RST installed it will say something similar to Intel(R)8 (or 9 or 170-270) series C220 (or similar) Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

This is very similar to the old Nforce 2 days and the argument about choosing the chipset IDE driver (or not) and just the same it would show up as "nvidia 2 IDE/SATA controller" and if you did not install just the MS default one. Never noticed any difference then either -- however regarding some GPU's of that era they ran far better with that nvidia driver installed