Digital Radio / Speaker

Hello,
    Bit of an odd requirement

Looking for a radio for my dad who wants to listen to an international radio station outside. I want to have it setup where he can turn the device on / off and select a pre-configured station via the device.

The station is not available locally on AM / FM / DAB so it would need to be Internet enabled and Wi-Fi is probably out of range leaving 4G / tether to a mobile phone maybe the only way.

Couldn't find anything obvious that would meet this requirement and was wondering if anyone might know some good options? Thanks

Re: Digital Radio / Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by delatroy View Post
    Hello,
    Bit of an odd requirement

Looking for a radio for my dad who wants to listen to an international radio station outside. I want to have it setup where he can turn the device on / off and select a pre-configured station via the device.

The station is not available locally on AM / FM / DAB so it would need to be Internet enabled and Wi-Fi is probably out of range leaving 4G / tether to a mobile phone maybe the only way.

Couldn't find anything obvious that would meet this requirement and was wondering if anyone might know some good options? Thanks
    Anyone?

An app on a smartphone won't do what you need ?

What exactly do you mean by radio ? portable speaker ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    An app on a smartphone won't do what you need ?

What exactly do you mean by radio ? portable speaker ?
    Yea, the combination of a bluetooth speaker with a smartphone should be fully capable of doing this. I know that at least one of my radio apps has an android widget that will just start playing the last played radio station directly from the home screen without even opening the app. Makes it real easy to just start listening.

The need for this to be internet enabled on its own means that a smartphone or 4g tablet is really your only option... I can't think of any speakers/radios that would contain a wireless modem. If your dad doesn't already have one then unfortunately that would mean paying for data.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present