Question Need advice; Using an "on card" (m.2?) raid to help speed up older computer? Maybe?

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice here. I have a single hard drive on this older machine. It works fine, but I notice quite often when gaming or when doing adobe premiere that I'm very much hard drive throttled.

The task manager will show the disk column in deep red with 100% usage. It's slammed. This is not constant, just when it really needs to think about something =)

I'm wondering if adding a raid card to the board that can support m.2 drives or some other plug and play solution would help me here. That way I could push off games and other often used hard drive intense things to those drives.

Would this help or would this be more work than necessary? At this point from my inspection of the task manager, I'm never CPU bound or limited by my graphics card even though they are older at this point, it's always the harddrive. But I don't know if I want to rebuild the machine and replace the current drive..

Thoughts and advice very much welcome. Thanks a ton!

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.161024-1825)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Re: Need advice; Using an "on card" (m.2?) raid to help speed up older computer? May

Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe the motherboard for the 2600k supports m.2 drives.

What hard drive do you have at present ?

Normally I'd suggest a SSD for a boot/program drive. But I would need to know the exact motherboard you have.

Re: Need advice; Using an "on card" (m.2?) raid to help speed up older computer? May

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe the motherboard for the 2600k supports m.2 drives.

What hard drive do you have at present ?

Normally I'd suggest a SSD for a boot/program drive. But I would need to know the exact motherboard you have.
    Thanks for the welcome!

So CPUZ says the motherboard is a "P67A-GD65 (MS-7681)" and based on the picture here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/P67A...#hero-overview that's about right.

Though, mines a "tad" more dusty.. =p

I appreciate the fast reply. And please excuse my ignorance.

Hard drive I'm not sure about.. let me see if I can figure that out.
    Last edited by Palamedes; 01-21-2017 at 12:06 PM.

The hardware tab says it's a "ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device" does that help?

And could I just add a SSD to the mix, move games to it and leave the core system on this drive or would a complete refactor be required here?

Quote Originally Posted by Palamedes View Post
    The hardware tab says it's a "ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device" does that help?

And could I just add a SSD to the mix, move games to it and leave the core system on this drive or would a complete refactor be required here?
    You could do that...But I'd suggest cloning the drive directly (existing drive to SSD) and then using the old spinner as a bulk storage drive.

Most of the retail SSDs available have some sort of cloning software in their retail box.

Just make sure any ssd you purchase gets hooked into the sata6 port(s) on the motherboard. Enable AHCI in the bios if it isn't already

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    You could do that...But I'd suggest cloning the drive directly (existing drive to SSD) and then using the old spinner as a bulk storage drive.

Most of the retail SSDs available have some sort of cloning software in their retail box.

Just make sure any ssd you purchase gets hooked into the sata6 port(s) on the motherboard. Enable AHCI in the bios if it isn't already
    Great thanks.