Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

would you upgrade ?

been pondering a cpu upgrade , curent core I3 6320 seems to be ok but my board will now support the new kabbylake 7600k . so I thought I would post and get some other opinions , would you and why would you exactly
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: would you upgrade ?

What do you do with your rig ?

I'm still sitting on a 3770k (and a 980ti) and feel no need to upgrade.

I want to upgrade, but have no need.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    What do you do with your rig ?

I'm still sitting on a 3770k (and a 980ti) and feel no need to upgrade.

I want to upgrade, but have no need.
    thought mabe a good quad core would better future proof me , looking down the road mass effect andromada is on my list as well as a good vidcard upgrade from a 950 GTX to 1060 GTX

I'm still on an i7 4770 cpu and Z87 motherboard. Only thing I'm looking at doing is upgrading the videocard, not sure which one yet. The ram and getting a PCI Express SSD.

I'm looking at Mass Effect Andromeda myself.

I guess the real issue here is that you're on a dual core instead of a quad like the other people who responded.

IMO whether you need to go from dual->quad depends on whether or not you find yourself CPU limited in games at all. My guess is with a 950, you aren't and likely still won't be moving to a 1060. IMO your money would be better spent on a GPU than a CPU since GPU's almost always have a major impact on game performance, while CPU's rarely do. Eventually you will find the dual core holding you back but that time you might be able to find a reasonable used 6700k or similar if you really think you need to upgrade it.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

thank you all for the replies
    guess i will just hold off and go for that GTX1060 instead

I want to mention the i3 6320 is a 2/4 CPU, so while it's dual core, it is hyperthreaded and acts more like a 4 core processor, so that should allow you to continue to use the CPU for longer than had it been just two cores. Editorial: I hate Intel's mudding the waters by having 2/4 i3s (6320), i5s (7200U) & i7s (7500U). It's impossible to remember and mentally compare CPUs. [jumps down from soapbox]

Also, if you buy now you'll probably be paying top dollar. If Ryzen does provide competition to the Intel line-up, those i5 should drop. IMO, they're overpriced and should be $150 CPUs on release, but that's just me.

Finally, thank you mmettin for putting it so succinctly: I want to upgrade, but have no need.

I've been feeling the same way for the last year. I have a 4770K in 2013 and been itching to build a new one since the beginning of 2016. I may build a new one to support Ryzen, but if the gains are minimal it's going to be really hard to justify.
    Last edited by btdog; 01-25-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: improve clarity

just built a i5-4690k with msi z97 gaming 5...nice setup.....no need to upgrade, plenty fast..also, got the gtx 1060 is paired with it....going to build ryzen rig very soon, but not real sure what cpu to get ? bought 3 new monitors, one 4k....4k is the way to go, no looking back...images are just out of this world...once 4k, u will not go back
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

must resist ... uggg! . 7600k looking tempting ! lol

seeing that mass effect andromada is on my short list I just cant resist a shiney new 7600k with my discount I can get one for around 2 bills.
    Last edited by brothergc; 03-20-2017 at 01:09 PM.

well upgrades are complete just bought a new 7600K so I am ready for mass effect andromada.
    should run fine with the new CPU , 500 GB 850 evo, and a EVGA 1060 SC single fan . I am set for a couple of years at least.
    Great deal on that 7600k $231 shipped !

Say corect me if I am wrong but as far as windows 7 goes I should have no need of doing a clean install , Correct ? Just drop it in a go ?
    Last edited by brothergc; 03-24-2017 at 08:27 PM.

First the theory: Yup, no need to do a clean install. A clean install is really pretty much never absolutely necessary, but absolutely unnecessary when you just plug in a new CPU.

Then reality strikes, when Microsoft hit the air with this news: http://windowsreport.com/windows-7-8...zen-kaby-lake/
    It is possible that you are pretty much forced into updating into Windows 10? You likely need to upgrade before you plug in the new CPU. If you are prepared to upgrade to Windows 10 (which you may pretty much now have to with Kaby Lake?) and want to save money... I'd look into this (it is possible Microsoft will also close this 'loophole' in the future, if it already hasn't, but I think for now it hasn't... Maybe someone can verify?): http://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-still...s-to-loophole/

well I am going to test that that theory . Stay tuned I will post back when I get the cpu installed .
    I already have upgraded my os to windows 10 in the past when they were giving out the free upgrade . So worst case is that this turns out to be true , I wipe clean My SSD , and do a fresh install of windows 10 from a disk I made some time back

hum been doing some reading and came across this http://www.infoworld.com/article/318...zen-chips.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yXD8BpJMsI

looks like some have had sucess using kabby lake CPUs
    Last edited by brothergc; 03-25-2017 at 07:29 AM.

zeez amazons free shipping sucks , ordered my 7600k on 3-24-17 and just shipped yesterday . anyway it will be here soon , I report back

well microshaft has broke it off in me . windows 7 is not allowing ANY updates after I installed the new cpu
    This is what I am getting
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-version-that-

That means no windows 7 support even for AMDs new CPU !! windows update will not work PERIOD ! I have even Got this message when I was on nvidias webpage downloading the latest drivers

edit :
    and no You can not bypass windows update and download updates manually , you will get the same message
    Last edited by brothergc; 04-01-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Got ya Microcrap !
    I found the ofending update that shuts down windows update
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-2008-r2-sp1

This is KB 4012218. . This is listed as a optional update
    I was able to download other updates after I uninstalled KB 4012218
    windows update is now working just fine
    How do you like me now MS LOL ! And just when I was ready to buy ( cringe ) windows 10 spyware . Now on to mass effect andromada !
    Last edited by brothergc; 04-02-2017 at 12:43 AM.