Move OS to SSD, who's done it?

My computer boots really slow. So I'm thinking of adding an SSD and moving OS (win7) to it. Who has done it and how did it go? Reading online it seems like theres no in between, either it went smoothly or disastrously.

I have a WD 6401AALS-00L3B2. Now I don't exactly remember what I have and just read this off Dev Mgr. I guess its a 640G with 265G free space.

I guess there are a couple different programs for accomplishing this. I guess I'd just like to hear about others experience doing this.

in reading a little, it sounds like you move not just the OS, but everything on the C drive. Because if I had to decide which programs and files and folders to move, I'd be lost.
    1) i5-2500K cpu, Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3, MSI GTX 970 GDDR5, 8G Gskill DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, Acer 23", H233H, Win7 64 bit, Corsair 650TX, Xigmatek cooler, Cooler Master CM690

Re: Move OS to SSD, who's done it?

sttubs is offline Always learning something

I've done it with Samsung Evo SSDs on 3 different computers without issues. They also include their own transfer software that make things nice and easy.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Quote Originally Posted by sttubs View Post
    I've done it with Samsung Evo SSDs on 3 different computers without issues. They also include their own transfer software that make things nice and easy.
    I'd second the good experiences with Samsung SSDs and their transfer software. I'd minimize the size (deleting any unused, unneeded programs) of your current HD, than transfer it to the SSD with the software provided (I'd recommend at least a 480GB drive).

I went SSD years ago for a boot drive when the Crucial C300 series drives were on the market.

Personally, I find it easier to do a fresh install of the OS on an SSD. Mainly because a new install seems to work best, but also (as you can see from the posts above) transferring from one drive to another can be quite a task.

If you're dead set on trying to transfer to the SSD, here are some things to keep in mind:
    • SSDs work best with AHCI protocols in the BIOS. If the HDD was installed and the BIOS was set to IDE, I would clone the drive first, install the SSD and then find the instructions to change it to AHCI. You have to change the BIOS and registry settings in tandem...but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.
    • To clone a drive, the HDD has to be smaller than the SSD. You said, the HDD is 640GB, and let's assume the SSD you're purchasing is 500GB. That means, you need to shrink the HDD partition to less than 500, say 475GB. If you have more than 475GB worth of stuff on the HDD, you have to delete some (I would use spacesniffer to help you decide, it's a little program and very easy to understand). Great program, btw. Even if you don't use it, download it and save it for later.
    • Once your data is less than 475GB, you have to actually shrink the partition until it's 475GB. Usually this can be done in the Control Panel (Disk Management) but if for some reason Windows won't let you shrink it, then I believe...Acronis will let you and it's pretty intuitive if I recall.

Now that the HDD is smaller than the SSD, you should be able to clone the drive with Windows or most free, drive cloning programs.

FYI, to check to see if your BIOS is in IDE or AHCI, check section 5-1-1 of your manual, around pg. 76. And if you do a fresh install, you just have to set the BIOS before you install the OS. The OS will configure to the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Just did this for a customer recently and it went without a hitch. Customer agreed to letting me image all 4 workstations using Acronis True image just in case. During my initial imaging, one system that the customers complained about as being slow, threw up a SMART diagnostic message of "Hard disk failure imminent" during a reboot. So, I went and got a WD SSD, imaged the original disk, swapped in the new SSD and booted from a True Image boot disk and imaged it back onto SSD and bam! 10 mins the job was done and man does that PC open files and start fast now. I just left the old drive in there "Just in case". The OS was a 7 Pro 64 upgrade to 10 Pro 64, and no issues 3 months later.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech