Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Ryzen - What is your planned build?

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    There seems to be some pretty serious memory issues for Ryzen setups at the moment? At least some (probably many) reports of people being unable to run memory stable past 2400Mhz. I'm probably going to built a smallish Ryzen system based on the Ryzen 5 1600X, which I think is a good compromise, with high clocks out of the box and more cores than Socket 1151 Intel counterparts. Want some more info about the memory issues though.
    To put it simply, AMD gurantees nothing over ddr4-2666 speeds. Depending on DIMMs and density, you could be running as lows as 2133. Any speed above that is not guaranteed, and backed only by the mobo maker.

Furthermore XMP profiles for Intel don't seem to work, so people are having to set timings maually.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

I am intending to go for:

1800x
    x370 Taichi
    GPU not decided yet, 580, Fury (like the PCWorld watercooled Ryzen review), 1080, but now I am reading about the new Vega...
    2 x 8Gb RAM,
    SSD of some description
    watercooling, if possible, "off the shelf", the PCWorld review used 240 Predator that apparently is not available to buy.
    Ultra Wide monitor 3440 x 1440

But I have yet to buy any of it, and I will be doing a lot of reading and asking questions as I build. I am also quite concerned about the amount of power this thing will need, upwards of 300W . oh dear.
    Last edited by Rosanbo; 05-07-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanbo View Post
    I am intending to go for:

1800x
    x370 Taichi
    2 x 8Gb RAM,
    SSD of some description
    watercooling, if possible, "off the shelf", the PCWorld review used 240 Predator that apparently is not available to buy.
    Ultra Wide monitor 3440 x 1440

But I have yet to buy any of it, and I will be doing a lot of reading and asking questions as I build.

I have just updated the original system and it cured many of the issues the system had. I won't hesitate if you want to build amd you should.

I am planning a 6 core amd build next month
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

hey uc
    still the madman i see. been awhile since you had to wait on bios fixes for a new motherboard.

ud

Looking for some moneys on these couple months, but here my planning build.
    CPU: would be r5 1500.
    motherboard : undecided due to no good selection.
    memory : corsair vengeance lpx 16gb
    storage : OCZ TRION 150 480GB
    case : Bitfenix prodigy m

I could say the rest of them since need to think of the budget, but it should be around 1100 i i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman_X View Post
    Looking for some moneys on these couple months, but here my planning build.
    CPU: would be r5 1500.
    motherboard : undecided due to no good selection.
    memory : corsair vengeance lpx 16gb
    storage : OCZ TRION 150 480GB
    case : Bitfenix prodigy m

I could say the rest of them since need to think of the budget, but it should be around 1100 i i guess
    I used the GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 in a 1600X build. It's a good board and not too expensive.

The 1600X build was for my adult son Buu. It's been up and running for a while now but I need to put the finishing touches on it and take some pics.

If things go according to plan I'll be doing a 1500x build for my adult daughter this week. That's going into the mATX Fractal ARC MINI R2 case with a ASRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard.

I need to put together PCPartpicker lists for the 1600x and 1500x builds.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Have checked Asus Prime B350 Plus and looks really good. I have seen that the new architecture is still evolving and i guess i would stick with Ryzen Parts to prevent less problems.

I would stick with G.Skill Flare X series rather than using Corsair Vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    To put it simply, AMD gurantees nothing over ddr4-2666 speeds. Depending on DIMMs and density, you could be running as lows as 2133. Any speed above that is not guaranteed, and backed only by the mobo maker.

Furthermore XMP profiles for Intel don't seem to work, so people are having to set timings maually.
    Seems to make sense, and this to me is valuable information. To me, it makes sense because as many of us know, AMD is not the same as Intel. There is an ever increasing gap in the way their chips use system memory. It has been this way ever since the company began designing their own cpu and collaborating to engineer the motherboards for them. I'm not sure of the best way to put it, but I have always said that AMD tends to use system memory more aggressively, and this attempt to use it as process efficiently as possible manifests itself through design and manufacturing deficiencies of system memory. What Im saying is, we'll have to wait for the improvements from both sides of the fence, ram module manufacturers, and AMD to start seeing tweak wiggle room. It's more an indication of the fundamentally radical new design than it is a company that sucks at CPU manufacturing. We've seen this quite a few times I think.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Regarding memory timings and Ryzen, a lot has changed over the past several months in terms of BIOS maturity. Since Gigabyte's June BIOS release I've been able to run Geil EVO X 3200 @ 3200 Mhz & Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 @ 2933 Mhz (there is no multiplier for 3000) on both the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 and GA-AX370-Gaming 5 boards without problems.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games