Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ryzen - What is your planned build?

Well I guess everyone has read all the reviews. No real reason to post bench marks, look around everywhere.

Overall I am very impressed with the platform. The Chip, the MSI B350, M.2! Feel-wise the system seems the same as main computer listed in the specification. The chip was more, the motherboard was cheaper. MSI does a very nice job with their motherboards these days. Live update is indispensable for a new platform.

Two items I would point out is the MSI board takes about 25seconds till it posts to Bios/UFEI, windows is almost instant load after that with the fast M.2.

Memory is a little funky, running at 2400, I can't seem to get it to run higher. I think the boards bios still needs a little work in this regard. I can get the chip to run at 4.0 ghz with slight voltage bump on the stock cooler which is quite nice BTW. Running 60d with OCCP linpac, fan barely heard.

All and all a very nice build and maybe like the old days we have some learning to do. AMD/MSI have done a very nice job IMO.

Oh and one point on gaming, this build has a 980GTX, it runs clean and at 2560 x 1440 smoother in most things than my sig build with the same monitor. Hopefully all the sites will add a mess of reviews with this sort of information. Should have a poll to see who still games at 1080p, I certainly don't.
    Last edited by undersea; 03-04-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    I went the Tomcat board for $79.99 after instant rebate, $424.08 with 3.5% tax
    Huh, I though the 3.5% tax thing was gone now

Not a bad rig for the money, glad its working out for you so far. TBH I wasn't super impressed by the release in the sense that it was a drop-dead "must buy". Its a very very nice improvement from AMD, but if it came down to it I think I'd still just buy the 7700K

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Huh, I though the 3.5% tax thing was gone now

Not a bad rig for the money, glad its working out for you so far. TBH I wasn't super impressed by the release in the sense that it was a drop-dead "must buy". Its a very very nice improvement from AMD, but if it came down to it I think I'd still just buy the 7700K
    If I was in the market I would probably by intel unless it was for work right now, my main uses are internet and gaming at home. I will build a 4 or 6 core rig for my tv pc when they come out. I recently bought an dell workstation for work and it cost 2500, maybe dell or hp might make some workstations that are affordable, time will tell.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Im eyeing the 6 core ryzen CPU when it comes out but Im waiting for reviews and benchmarks first though. I have a very good gaming system in my mancave with a 5960x cpu and a 980ti running a 27" 1440p Gsync monitor which i also use for my job running software for accident reconstruction. I do want a gaming pc in my recroom and have it robust enough i can use it for my home office as a backup which is why i am looking for a 6 core cpu instead of just a quad.

So my end goal is upgrade my gpu to a 1080Ti in my home office as my main gaming pc, build my backup recroom gaming system with the 6 core Ryzen CPU and swap my 980Ti into that system. Its nice sitting in my lazyboy and playing Fallout 4 or ESO with my steam controller

Quote Originally Posted by Crazycanukk View Post
    Im eyeing the 6 core ryzen CPU when it comes out but Im waiting for reviews and benchmarks first though. I have a very good gaming system in my mancave with a 5960x cpu and a 980ti running a 27" 1440p Gsync monitor which i also use for my job running software for accident reconstruction. I do want a gaming pc in my recroom and have it robust enough i can use it for my home office as a backup which is why i am looking for a 6 core cpu instead of just a quad.

So my end goal is upgrade my gpu to a 1080Ti in my home office as my main gaming pc, build my backup recroom gaming system with the 6 core Ryzen CPU and swap my 980Ti into that system. Its nice sitting in my lazyboy and playing Fallout 4 or ESO with my steam controller
    Sounds nice, I sold this rig so I'm looking for pretty much the same build as you when they are released for myself!

1700x on the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 board.
    For full details click "My Rigs" in my signature or PCPartPicker
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    1700x on the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 board.
    For full details click "My Rigs" in my signature or PCPartPicker
    Hey Lenny,

Just for curiosity why did you pick a 840, old drive?

Hey Lenny,

Just for curiosity why did you pick a 840, old drive?
    Hey there! I reused a few parts from my existing PC including the 840 Pro, Antec PSU and Visiontek Nano video card.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Hey there! I reused a few parts from my existing PC including the 840 Pro, Antec PSU and Visiontek Nano video card.
    Hey Lenny,

Makes sense now. Treat yourself to an M.2, so damn nice. Try my Digital, really fast and cheap.

http://mydigitalssd.com/pcie-m2-ngff-ssd.php

Almost as fast as samsung for 50 less

I know. I want one. Someday. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have two Ryzen processors, a 1700X and a 1800X but no motherboards to put them in. I pre-ordered two Asus Prime X370 Pro's and not even an estimate of when they will come in stock. I can't wait to try AMD again!
    Dok

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I have two Ryzen processors, a 1700X and a 1800X but no motherboards to put them in. I pre-ordered two Asus Prime X370 Pro's and not even an estimate of when they will come in stock. I can't wait to try AMD again!
    Nice! Maybe they will have Bios issues solved by the time you get them

I'm intrigued by this cpu, but sadly right now, plans are to upgrade my i4770 system to 32GB's of ram, get a different videocard, and a PCI Express SSD, as my current system is doing just fine for gaming. I'm actually glad when I built my current system, that I got the ASUS Z87 Deluxe motherboard.
    If I were to build one, I would get the Ryzen 1800X or whatever it is called, and an ASUS motherboard.

I'm building the first system, a 1800X and Asus Prime x370 Pro. It's definitely finicky with the memory. Runs fine at 2133mhz but won't post at higher speeds. I got spoiled with years of Intel builds that just worked, this will be fun!
    Dok

Nice! Maybe they will have Bios issues solved by the time you get them
    No such luck, we're still on the bleeding edge.
    Dok