Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ryzen - What is your planned build?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    No such luck, we're still on the bleeding edge.
    New bios are coming with new amd memory settings, probably a few months away depending what board you are using.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

I got lucky - Corsair 3000 RAM running 2933 seemingly without any issues on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 X370.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I got lucky - Corsair 3000 RAM running 2933 seemingly without any issues on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 X370.

Great, msi still hasn't released a official bios for the tomahawk. They have unofficial but I'm not testing bios for them.

How do you like it so far?

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Great, msi still hasn't released a official bios for the tomahawk. They have unofficial but I'm not testing bios for them.

How do you like it so far?
    It's nice so far in testing but haven't switched over to using it just yet as my primary rig. I need to move some drives over from my old rig and get some of my essential software installed. I need to sit down and spend some time with it to finish up.

Gigabyte seems to be ahead of MSI so far in putting out a stable BIOS for the AM4 boards. I've heard of problems with some MSI boards related to not quite ready BIOS versions.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Planning a build too but prices are nuts in Canada right now. I'm going to San Francisco in May. Any stores there worth checking out?
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Planning a build too but prices are nuts in Canada right now. I'm going to San Francisco in May. Any stores there worth checking out?
    The only thing that comes to mind would be Fry's Electronics...Depends on where you are in the SF area.

I'm not sure if there is a microcenter nearby or not.

1700 X, X370 Taichi and hopefully the 580 will look good and I will get one to get along with my all AMD rig

i got the msi x370 gaming pro carbon, was at frys a week ago, and bingo..they had just one..i snatched it...not sure what cpu i will get...sort of waiting for the r5 1600x to come out...april 11
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Waiting for the R5 ryzens to come around to build one for my friend. Now the question is, which mobo.. was thinking the B350 Pro4, what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by xLegendary View Post
    Waiting for the R5 ryzens to come around to build one for my friend. Now the question is, which mobo.. was thinking the B350 Pro4, what do you guys think?
    I don't know about the B350 boards but the MSI X370 boards had problems with early BIOS versions. Getting better now from what I understand. I built a 1700x + Gigabyte Gaming 5 and using a BIOS from mid-March it's been nice and stable. I'm going to be building a Ryzen 5 + Gigabtye AB350 Gaming 3 but haven't even started that yet so I can't comment on that motherboard but in general I have a good impression of the Gigabyte boards.

Quote Originally Posted by xLegendary View Post
    Same dilemma. I hesitate between the b350 tomahawk or the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3. Only 10 bux difference.

Asus doesn't seem to have any quality mid range offerings.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

If I were buying I'd choose the Gigabyte Gaming 3. The Gigabyte boards have been more stable and seem to have better RAM compatibility at this point.

There seems to be some pretty serious memory issues for Ryzen setups at the moment? At least some (probably many) reports of people being unable to run memory stable past 2400Mhz. I'm probably going to built a smallish Ryzen system based on the Ryzen 5 1600X, which I think is a good compromise, with high clocks out of the box and more cores than Socket 1151 Intel counterparts. Want some more info about the memory issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    There seems to be some pretty serious memory issues for Ryzen setups at the moment? At least some (probably many) reports of people being unable to run memory stable past 2400Mhz. I'm probably going to built a smallish Ryzen system based on the Ryzen 5 1600X, which I think is a good compromise, with high clocks out of the box and more cores than Socket 1151 Intel counterparts. Want some more info about the memory issues though.
    Best advice is follow the compatability by the given motherboard. Amd is working on the memory compatability, do your research in the manufacturer motherboard forums.

I'd guess the amd build should be 10-15% cheaper with chip and motherboard prices.

As I've mentioned some boards are doing better with memory compatibility than others. Gigabyte is doing good. MSI not so great. ASUS is so-so. I'm sure that will improve with the new AGESA code and future BIOSes but that's my observation as of right now. I'm using the Gigabyte Gaming 5 with Corsair 3000 RAM and it's running perfectly at 2933.