used quadro or GTX 1070

I will be upgrading my workstation's gfx card within the next few months and i am very torn on which way to go. I am currently running a Quadro 600 which has worked surprising well for me so far, but it does slow down from time to time.

I do some CAD work from home, Solidworks mostly, on small and medium sized models with varying amounts of detail.

I also game ever so slightly, mainly CS: Source though newer games are not out of the question as i now have a computer that will actually run them.

Also, this machine folds during the standard work day and at night on full power.

My initial ideal was geared toward workstation graphics with Solidworks and some light video editing (family moved, bouncing off tress and rock on my snowboard, etc). I had planned on going with the Quadro K5000 as these can be found used for about $450 which is perfect for my budget. If i needed to upgrade later, i can add a second k5000 in SLI as it is certified capable from NVidia for my workstation specs.

I am second guessing myself though ... for the same price i can get into the GTX 1070 cards with more CUDA cores and double the RAM.

i am very torn here on which way to go. There is very little data on how the Quadro cards game and how they fold, although they are designed for full power use over long periods of time and for maximum data throughput.

On the other hand, the GTX cards have more ram and higher clock speeds with plenty of data on how they game and how well .... how VERY WELL .... they fold.

my main concern is seeing my CAD work fall flat on its face as i zoom, pan, rebuild, and render final assemblies. I have dealt with that before and it absolutely cannot happen.

opinions?

Re: used quadro or GTX 1070

So I can't speak directly from experience, but there are a few things that separate Quadro cards from their GeForce brethren. I believe there are features that are designed for CAD that are enabled in the Quadro drivers that are not available on GF cards, as well as more stringent driver certification. I'm pretty sure that those features allow the Quadro cards to perform better in CAD applications than their GF equivalents within the same generation

That last note is important because the issue is that the K5000 is now several generations old (kepler) and any performance gains have probably been negated by the architectural improvements over the last several years. This video, for example shows (at a very high, unscientific level) that a 1080 may very well outperform a K5000 in the majority of applications. Overall, I think there are resources out there that can answer your question better than I can, but superficially it looks like the 1070 would be the better choice.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    So I can't speak directly from experience, but there are a few things that separate Quadro cards from their GeForce brethren. I believe there are features that are designed for CAD that are enabled in the Quadro drivers that are not available on GF cards, as well as more stringent driver certification. I'm pretty sure that those features allow the Quadro cards to perform better in CAD applications than their GF equivalents within the same generation

That last note is important because the issue is that the K5000 is now several generations old (kepler) and any performance gains have probably been negated by the architectural improvements over the last several years. This video, for example shows (at a very high, unscientific level) that a 1080 may very well outperform a K5000 in the majority of applications. Overall, I think there are resources out there that can answer your question better than I can, but superficially it looks like the 1070 would be the better choice.
    Thanks for your reply. i am digging into the bowels of the interwebs to find my solution. It is looking like you are correct on bot counts. The newer generations of GF card simply outperform the old generations of Quadro cards in nearly all categories.

After much debate and speaking with MANY different people i have decided to go with the Quadro card for CAD. Being optimized for Solidworks is going to be a big help to me ... especially considering i just spent 27 minutes rendering a "high quality photorealistic" picture of a bottle opener in Solidworks Photoworks Studio for a sales pitch.

CAD is my main use, so i must tailor my workstation to that and take a hit elsewhere.