Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ssd advice

ssd advice

my raptors are getting long in the tooth , been going 3 years now on them .
    I am looking for some thoughts on a ssd . My motherboard is a asus Z-170-E so it supports the newest M.2 pcie drives . BUT seeing that I am on windows 7 ( hate windows 10 ) I am thinking that these drives would be problematic with windows 7 ? ( correct ? )
    so what to do ? Just go with a sata 6.0 ? and if so which one . I had one before and was unimpressed it was a intel 330 drive , sure it loaded faster by a few seconds but the write speeds were not to my liking especialy small files .

I do game and surf the net . I have read reviews till I am crosseyed LOL . so ideas, feedback on storage options ? PCIE vs sata worth it or possible ? My head is spinning LOL
    EDIT:
    Whats I dont get is a lot of these benchmarks I keep seeing on different sites like IO meter , and "4kb random rites " and such benchmarks I find them confusing and meaningless to me
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-26-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: ssd advice

Long time no talk,

not sure about win 7, 10 is pretty good now

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Accessor.../dp/B017YUCAXS
    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/myd...me80-bpx-0512/

most current sata6 drives should rock over raptors in raid 0
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Long time no talk,

not sure about win 7, 10 is pretty good now

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Accessor.../dp/B017YUCAXS
    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/myd...me80-bpx-0512/

most current sata6 drives should rock over raptors in raid 0
    been down the raid path , no thanks what I am trying to figure is the best way to go with a ssd . my board supports the latest drives like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-E.../dp/B01LYFKX41
    BUT I hear they can be a pain to install on windows 7 SO , Iam just thinking about some plain old sata SSDs , but what to get . to Me write speeds are just as important and seeing that some manufactures just post " up to xyz speeds" is just meanless in real world useage . I read verious reviews but some of the benchies I just dont get or understand so making it difulcult to pick a drive

Just use a 2.5 drive like the Samsung, my current favorite is sky Hynix for fast and cheap.

You won't have any issue with drivers and google the command for trim to make sure it is running
    O
    I would say the jump to Sata 6 you feel more than the m.2, but these faster drives exist so why not

For a fast pci board you might try ocz, I know they work with win 7, a little expensive and small though
    Last edited by undersea; 02-27-2017 at 07:07 PM.

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

thanks undersea ! I will probaly go with a samsung 850 evo , umm maybe a 500 gb hearing good things about the evo .
    So how you been ? geez its been awhile . I kinda got out of all the "upgrade fever game . I am looking foward to the new mass effect release , what was that again ? andromada ?
    So what are you running these days for your main rig ?

Yea its been a long time, I was out of the fever but than I did my sig computer and damn like a drug addict it bit me again. I've always been a huge AMD fan, my point is proved that intel should soon start a price war if reviews are as expected tomorrow.

My sig computer rocks, if not gaming old school on my laptop I love the new computer, M.2 is so nice.

Didn't we reach 7000 post together? Real life keeps me busy these days, these forums are not what they once where but still fun.

I have witcher 3, battlefield , both beautiful and fun but lately I've been into replaying xcom (Original) and listening to Tidal with high bit streaming with my Audio Engine 2+ speakers, so nice

Yea its been a long time, I was out of the fever but than I did my sig computer and damn like a drug addict it bit me again. I've always been a huge AMD fan, my point is proved that intel should soon start a price war if reviews are as expected tomorrow.

My sig computer rocks, if not gaming old school on my laptop I love the new computer, M.2 is so nice.

Didn't we reach 7000 post together? Real life keeps me busy these days, these forums are not what they once where but still fun.

I have witcher 3, battlefield , both beautiful and fun but lately I've been into replaying xcom (Original) and listening to Tidal with high bit streaming with my Audio Engine 2+ speakers, so nice
    honestly I do not remember if we reached the 7000 mark at the same time .
    It is a shame that the decline of members I have seen leave . I used to rock AMD too , but when core 2 came out AMD got caught with their pants down , and the whole bulldozer failure just drove their fans to intel . I am not a huge fan of intel but considering the proformance boost of their CPUs compaired to bulldozer I jumped ship . Now rizen is out and starting to look tempting .
    say do you know much about OZC drives ? I been looking at the tron 150

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820228143
    looks like a good deal

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    honestly I do not remember if we reached the 7000 mark at the same time .
    It is a shame that the decline of members I have seen leave . I used to rock AMD too , but when core 2 came out AMD got caught with their pants down , and the whole bulldozer failure just drove their fans to intel . I am not a huge fan of intel but considering the proformance boost of their CPUs compaired to bulldozer I jumped ship . Now rizen is out and starting to look tempting .
    say do you know much about OZC drives ? I been looking at the tron 150

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820228143
    looks like a good deal
    I have two of the 480. Very good budget drive. About $10 bucks cheaper at Microcenter.

I actually like the https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820329008

but the price has gone up 15 bucks recently

I have two of the 480. Very good budget drive. About $10 bucks cheaper at Microcenter.

I actually like the https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820329008

but the price has gone up 15 bucks recently
    wanted to thank you for the help . I been getting some good overtime at work so I just bit the bullet and ordered a samsung 850 evo 500 GB standard SATA drive . Got a good deal 160 shipped . Maybe down the road I go with a PCIE m.2 drive when I finally go to windows 10 . but that would be at least a year down the road.\
    From all the reviews I can find the 850 evo is the best quality/price/proformance drive I can find

Cool, I can't wait to see what you think of your computer after you install

me too !
    Say I am wondering if you know the answer to this , is it possible to use a windows 7 image created by windows 7 backup to install onto the new SSD ? I question this because the image was made with a 250 gb raptor and I am installing onto a 500 GB ssd drive . I am winting to use the entire 500 gb and do not want to end up with a 250 GB partition or something stupid like that . If I have to I could do a clean install but wow that takes hours and hours

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    me too !
    Say I am wondering if you know the answer to this , is it possible to use a windows 7 image created by windows 7 backup to install onto the new SSD ? I question this because the image was made with a 250 gb raptor and I am installing onto a 500 GB ssd drive . I am winting to use the entire 500 gb and do not want to end up with a 250 GB partition or something stupid like that . If I have to I could do a clean install but wow that takes hours and hours
    I usually do fresh loads but windows won't clone, that I'm aware of. Most drives have utilities, there are good free ones but they take some work.

If you bought a samsung drive...They have a cloning software that you can use.

I believe its called Data Migration

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...oad/tools.html

I usually do fresh loads but windows won't clone, that I'm aware of. Most drives have utilities, there are good free ones but they take some work.
    that is what I am going to do then . I got the drive in sat. night .( good lord amazon took a week to deliver geez ! ) Monday I am just going to buy a new vid card a GTX 1060 and do a fresh install with both the new parts . Upgrading from a asus GTX 950 to a GTX 1060 see my thread in the Vidieo section looking at a cool new card

I know your going to think me mad but while my computer is somewhat faster ,more snappy it is not a whole lot faster . Drive benches fine , I have shaved a few seconds off boot time , webpages do load faster . Lets see what some games look like as I just got done with the basic freash install . It is nice not to have those old raptors grinding away , geez you know that sound HDD s make when they get old . Rappys have served me well for 5 years time to retire them to file 13

I am VERY disapointed with samsungs magician software no longer do they have the option to run trim in their software . Version 5 removed all the optimizing tweek options . So I dumped it useless software that wants to auto start .

edit 2 :
    after updating sata drivers to the latest intel rapid storage driver this thing took off ! happy camper here !
    Last edited by brothergc; 03-21-2017 at 02:31 PM.