Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ssd advice

Re: ssd advice

I've got a Crucial C300 128 for my boot drive that came out I don't know how many years ago, that plain flat out works to this day, and a 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD.

interesting , I just did a fresh install of windows 7 on the new samsung ssd . I also just bought mass effect andromada . So while playing the game I got choppy proformance . I have the latest drivers , a shiney new 1060 GTX 6gb , new core i5 cpu . SO I got to digging around , tweaking this , tweaking that . Bottom line somewhere along the line windows disabled prefetch . As soon as I enabled it , wow much better game launced instantly , smooth gameplay . anyway I said all that to get to my point . I was under the impression that prefetch was a not a good thing on a ssd ? anyone else notice this ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    interesting , I just did a fresh install of windows 7 on the new samsung ssd . I also just bought mass effect andromada . So while playing the game I got choppy proformance . I have the latest drivers , a shiney new 1060 GTX 6gb , new core i5 cpu . SO I got to digging around , tweaking this , tweaking that . Bottom line somewhere along the line windows disabled prefetch . As soon as I enabled it , wow much better game launced instantly , smooth gameplay . anyway I said all that to get to my point . I was under the impression that prefetch was a not a good thing on a ssd ? anyone else notice this ?
    I just had to Google prefetch it has been so long, Win 7 is not 100% SSD friendly, Win 10 is.

Which i5 did you get 7600k?

I have 6600k @ 4.2 and it rocks
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    I just had to Google prefetch it has been so long, Win 7 is not 100% SSD friendly, Win 10 is.

Which i5 did you get 7600k?

I have 6600k @ 4.2 and it rocks
    yes the 7600k is what I bought . I could have had the 6600 k but seeing that their were basicly the same price and seeing that I had the bios update to run the 7600k on my asus z-170e I thought why not ... Like you I have my cpu at 4.2 (stock I believe) and wow it is very fast .
    The prefetch probaly go disabled when I updated the sata drivers after doing some additional digging I found that I had 3 problems that enabling prefetch were covering up .
    On mass effect I was low on ram , 8gb is not realy enough even though is is listed as min specs . I upgraded the ram to 2x8 gb that helped ( 16gb)
    My board auto sets my ram to a trfc timing of 420 clocks , way too much lowered that to 375 clocks and everything got snappy , the game loaded faster and smoother . Still trying to figure out waht Asus calls their TRC setting , I have looked and looked and if it is their , they have named it something that I do not reconise .
    And last but not least adding more ram I had to up the ram voltage 1.78 volts was just not cutting it , went for 2.25 v
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Ill add that I tried Sandisk x400 Sata M2 in my Sabertooth Z170 and found out I didnt know enough about M2 at all. I lost two sata ports and lost my raid 1 in my confusion. Good thing my backup wasnt that old! I was pretty pissed off and sent it back.

Thanks for the post about the PCie That is a reasonable price which I sure did miss when I looked. The Sabertooth came with a PCIE mothercard for that and thats the way I would go. Getting kicked in the nuts and losing two precious sata ports is not worth it. After my education on M2... I have agreed with others that the speeds are just about as good as any old ssd anyway. Plus going with enterprise Intel SSD was a cheap option.

In my case I needed a Game Drive for The Flight sims. So after some wound licking and reminding myself about trying to stick to intel I went to ebay bargain shopping. There are alot of 100 percent life DC s3500 drives on ebay now for $109.00! These are enterprise grade data center ssd drives with on board caps to insure no data loss. The read speeds are blazing but the writes are only about half enthusiasts primary drive speeds. . Thats fine with me, because once data is loaded up all I need is the around 500 mbs read speed. Write speed is around half that. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...00-series.html Not enthusiast grade but IDC, its just the game drive. I am already accelerating my raid 1 Primary with Intel ssd.

You really need to do a clean install of win 10 . you can find legit win 10 keys on ebay for about 20 bucks now from some Penguin place. M$ is going in the right direction with win 10. My jump is a year old now and I couldn't be happier on SUPPORTED HARDWARE and a clean install.
    Last edited by ~Morphed~; 04-08-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Right now I am looking for an SSD for a 2012 3gbs 6570b HP Laptop. So far the Intel 320 series looks like a good option but hell they hit the market in 2011. So far I am not seeing a decent price for about 300-480gbs of hdd space. The laptop is a sometimes mobile tool.
    Its going to get windows 7 reloaded too.