i7-7700k Gaming Build... thoughts? And some questions.

Hey guys,

Hoping this is the right place for this. My current rig is 5 years old, so I'm definitely due for an upgrade. This computer is going to be for gaming at resolutions of 2560x1440 144hz. I've been trying to weigh heavily between getting a Ryzen chip or stay with the i7-7700k, but right now this is what I have come up with. I'm definitely interested if any parts should be changed for cost reasons or performance, so please let me know.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ RD400 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.97 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($554.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($132.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1858.84
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-22 13:12 EDT-0400

I know I can get it cheaper from multiple sites, but I'll be using a Newegg credit card. I have the following questions, so I'm looking forward to the discussion!

1) As the above stated, I went with the i7-7700k. The Ryzen doesn't seem to be performing as well for gaming, so this is the next best thing.

2) CPU Cooler: This is my first dive into any kind of water cooling. How is the Corsair series? I was thinking either the H100 or H115. I believe my case should have enough room for either. Or, is there something else I should get entirely?

3) Motherboard: This is one of those components that I'm not entirely sure which one I should be getting. Any thoughts on this are appreciated. If you change it up, can you let me know why? I know in a previous build of mine, someone had a downgraded MSI board for maybe $110 (Not sure which one). I just know Z270 is the way to go.

4) Memory: Is this where the sweet spot of memory is? Good memory to get?

5) Storage: I was looking at that storage due to the speed. It will house my OS as well as some games. I went this one due to the PCI-E 4x. This is the first time I've been working with M.2 technology.

6) Video Card: I want to get a 1080. I'll be gaming at 2560x1440 144hz. My display utilizes GSync which is the other reason I'm going nVidia. There are so many variants of the video card, but I'm not sure what to get. I know EVGA has a great warranty and many seem to have good experiences with them. Some others had recommend Zotac, but I know nothing about them. Thoughts?

7) OS: Someone recommended non-OEM Windows in case I change components. I don't know the full case of this though, so any thoughts are appreciated.
    ===================================================
    Case: Coolermaster 590 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Processor: Intel C2D E8400 | HSF: Xigmatek S1283 | Memory: 2x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 | Video: EVGA GTX 260 216cores | Power: PC P&C 610W

Re: i7-7700k Gaming Build... thoughts? And some questions.

Hi, Punkrulz! At a quick glance, your build looks good. The only thing I would change if it were mine is getting a larger SSD. I think a 500GB SSD would serve you better, and give you more room so you don't have to shuffle games on and off. Really, with the size of games these days, 256 is basically the OS and maybe 3 games.

1. While I can't argue with your choice in CPUs, I will say at your gaming level (2560x1440 @144Hz), the major variances reported between Ryzen and the Intel CPUs quickly narrows. The GPU becomes more of the limiting factor.

2. Corsair is great. I've bought several of the CLCs though not the one you've selected. NZXT also has the Kraken series (which I have one of those) and they're pretty similar. Also, if you don't plan on OC'ing, you can probably use a smaller radiator (1x120mm as opposed to 2x120mm).

3. I like MSi and the board seems feature rich at a nice price point.

4. G.Skill is a good brand but I'm not sure if you need 3200. Still, it's priced about the same as slower speed RAM so I wouldn't change it. someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Intel builds gain as much benefit from higher clocked RAM than AMD builds (AMD builds see a really nice bump in FPS when paired with higher clocked RAM)

5. See my earlier comments.

6. eVGA is a reliable brand, and I haven't used Zotac but I'm not opposed to them either. Again, I like MSi. What I usually do is compare 2-4 GPUs that I like and compare factory set speeds, cooling and price. Also, read some of the reviews on Newegg to see what people are saying.

7. In general, OEM OSes are tied to the motherboard, where Retail versions can be deactivated on one computer and installed on a completely different one. Retail versions use to be much more expensive, but I don't know about Win10. Personally, I usually give my older computer to family members so I leave the OS with the computer.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    Hi, Punkrulz! At a quick glance, your build looks good. The only thing I would change if it were mine is getting a larger SSD. I think a 500GB SSD would serve you better, and give you more room so you don't have to shuffle games on and off. Really, with the size of games these days, 256 is basically the OS and maybe 3 games.

1. While I can't argue with your choice in CPUs, I will say at your gaming level (2560x1440 @144Hz), the major variances reported between Ryzen and the Intel CPUs quickly narrows. The GPU becomes more of the limiting factor.

2. Corsair is great. I've bought several of the CLCs though not the one you've selected. NZXT also has the Kraken series (which I have one of those) and they're pretty similar. Also, if you don't plan on OC'ing, you can probably use a smaller radiator (1x120mm as opposed to 2x120mm).

3. I like MSi and the board seems feature rich at a nice price point.

4. G.Skill is a good brand but I'm not sure if you need 3200. Still, it's priced about the same as slower speed RAM so I wouldn't change it. someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Intel builds gain as much benefit from higher clocked RAM than AMD builds (AMD builds see a really nice bump in FPS when paired with higher clocked RAM)

5. See my earlier comments.

6. eVGA is a reliable brand, and I haven't used Zotac but I'm not opposed to them either. Again, I like MSi. What I usually do is compare 2-4 GPUs that I like and compare factory set speeds, cooling and price. Also, read some of the reviews on Newegg to see what people are saying.

7. In general, OEM OSes are tied to the motherboard, where Retail versions can be deactivated on one computer and installed on a completely different one. Retail versions use to be much more expensive, but I don't know about Win10. Personally, I usually give my older computer to family members so I leave the OS with the computer.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response BT. So, I had made a few subtle changes, and fortunately they fall in line with how you feel for the most part. Here is the parts that I have ordered:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.49 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG A40 ULTIMATE 83.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.45 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.01 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($539.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1844.67
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-25 13:09 EDT-0400

Unfortunately I'm being trolled by shipping, so this is going to be the longest few days of my life.

The Cryorig appeared to be pretty well recommended. While I'm not 100% of a fan of the "block fan" (I think it looks... strange), I went with it anyways. I mean, keeping the area around the processor is a good thing, right? Right?!

I decided to be a little bit more fancy and get the RGB memory. Why? Cause I'm an idiot.

For the storage, I began looking up video comparisons of the NVME M.2 storage, as well as standard M.2. The difference between that and the Crucial MX300 was honestly negligible, so that helped me make the choice on the larger MX300. No regrets there. Less than a second between OS loading, and game loading is not going to make a difference to me!

I've heard of a few other recommendations for both EVGA and the FTW board. While I wish I had the money for the TI, I don't so this will have to do.

Thanks for the info for the OEM systems. Someone laid it out to me basically that if I have to replace the system board for any reason, the OEM version of Windows is basically lost... that helped me navigate to the retail version.
    Case: Coolermaster 590 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Processor: Intel C2D E8400 | HSF: Xigmatek S1283 | Memory: 2x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 | Video: EVGA GTX 260 216cores | Power: PC P&C 610W

As someone with a 256gb OS drive and 512gb game drive, I recommend a 1TB SSD if you can afford it somehow. Games are just massive at this point and having that larger SSD will help. At the very least, get a 256gb OS drive (with room for some games) and a 500+gb drive just for games.

Basically every AAA game now is 50+gb. That space goes really fast.

As you are going pretty much enthusiast high-end there, you might want to consider a 1080Ti instead of the regular 1080. E.g. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-111-_-Product

MSI ARMOR 1080Ti at $709 is a pretty good deal (out of stock at the moment though...).

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    As you are going pretty much enthusiast high-end there, you might want to consider a 1080Ti instead of the regular 1080. E.g. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-111-_-Product

MSI ARMOR 1080Ti at $709 is a pretty good deal (out of stock at the moment though...).
    He would be able to get closer to maxing that 144hz monitor on a 1080Ti, but since its gsync, there are diminishing returns there. I'd say the extra $200 is better spent on a larger (and longer lasting) SSD, but I definitely see the argument for a 1080Ti.

Thanks for the responses guys. I wish that EVGA had their 1080Ti's coming out in 90 days, because I would more than likely upgrade to one. But, as you can see how much these things are selling out, I doubt I would be able to make use out of their step-up program. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Punkrulz View Post
    I wish that EVGA had their 1080Ti's coming out in 90 days
    They hopefully will be out by the end of next month (one indicates it will be available April 24th):
    http://www.evga.com/products/product...et=GTX+1080+Ti

You could be right that they may sell out, but with Vega right around the corner, I think the demand is going to be softer than usual.

Good luck!

Power supply might be cutting it on the tight side. Your video card alone says it needs 220W, and that just leaves you with 400W for everything else and the I7 gonna eat a bunch of that too.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Quote Originally Posted by onetech View Post
    Power supply might be cutting it on the tight side. Your video card alone says it needs 220W, and that just leaves you with 400W for everything else and the I7 gonna eat a bunch of that too.
    A good quality 650W PSU (like the one chosen) will handle that system will plenty of headroom for e.g. overclocking.
    Last edited by Pehu; 04-06-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    A good quality 650W PSU (like the one chosen) will handle that system will plenty of headroom for e.g. overclocking.
    Agreed. The i7 TDP is what? 95W Add mobo and other components and you might be at 200-225 at max (including CPU and part of the GPU). Worst case scenario, I would be surprised if the system pulled 450W which is 200W below the PSU.

I just ran a comparable build on a PSU Calculator and it had a max load of 398W. 650W is plenty.

Hope this helps.

Great build! Very similar to my recent build. If you're enjoying it even half as much as I'm enjoying mine, then I know you're having a great time with it
    Core i7 7700K/Asus TUF Z270 Mark1/32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz/Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti/512Gb Samsung 960 Pro/Toshiba X300 6Tb/Corsair H80i/Corsair HX850i/Corsair 400C