Need some recommendations for new CPU

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my speed a bit but don't want to spend more than about $300. I'm running Windown 10 and have this setup right now:

1. AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 6-Core 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W HDE00ZFBGRBOX Desktop Processor

2. GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

4. CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply & New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

5. EVGA GeForce 8400 GS DirectX 10 01G-P3-1303-KR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

I'm not a gamer, just general use, internet video, office programs, Evernote, etc.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and was thinking about popping a faster CPU in the same board, but will it make much difference?

Also, I'd like to know your opinions on memory, whether or not I should have more or faster memory and what your favorites are for a non gamer who just wants an overall quick user experience.

I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
    Rob

Re: Need some recommendations for new CPU

hey

you don't mention whether your using a ssd drive. that would be the only thing that would give you any noticeable improvement.

your daily usage is much like mine and i'm still using a gigabyte 790/ddr2 board and a 960t. the thuban cpu is faster in single core
    applications than the newer fx chips. you would have to overclock the fx 1000mhz clock to equal thuban.

faster memory wouldn't be noticeable during your normal daily usage.

when your ready for a new rig, the new amd ryzen has caught up to intel in most applications.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    hey

you don't mention whether your using a ssd drive. that would be the only thing that would give you any noticeable improvement.

your daily usage is much like mine and i'm still using a gigabyte 790/ddr2 board and a 960t. the thuban cpu is faster in single core
    applications than the newer fx chips. you would have to overclock the fx 1000mhz clock to equal thuban.

faster memory wouldn't be noticeable during your normal daily usage.

when your ready for a new rig, the new amd ryzen has caught up to intel in most applications.

ud
    Hey ud, thanks for the reply. Not sure how I forgot to mention that. I'm using this SSD.
    Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT256M4SSD2

The other detail I left out was that I also use this system for FAH.

Thanks

about a year and a half ago i was bored and built a fx system to see what it was all about.

i ran cpu folding for 24 hours getting about the same ppd as the thuban with 2 less cores. what stood out was the wattage used
    doing it. it took 350-70 watts just for the cpu on the fx.

ud

I'm not 100% but I think the 1100T is the best CPU in that socket. We've confirmed you have an SSD, which is the next thing you could do to speed up the rig. No other changes to that computer would make a marked improvement.

Your next bet is to build/buy a new one, but with $300 building is not an option. And anything new at that price point may not be much better than what you have already. I guess you could try used (like Craigslist) but it could be hit or miss.

Hope this helps.

What about raise your bet little to get Phenom II X6 and lower your SSD. 128 GB in my thought is more than enough for the system and you could buy an HDD for saving the game.
    Last edited by Megaman_X; 05-28-2017 at 10:50 PM.