MS strong arm policy

For those of you who do not know , MS has now adopted a policy that will block windows update from working If you have a 7th gen intel or amd CPU running windows 7
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-version-that-
    http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/17/mic...ows-7-and-8-1/
    Looks like windows 8 is included !
    So I did some digging on my system which has a 7600k and windows 7
    their are 2 updates that will cause this issue
    the one just relased today , KB4015549
    and KB4012218
    KB4012218 is a optional update but KB4015549 is a sercurity update . I see this as nothing more then a strong arm tactic to force people to windows 10 . While I might understand blocking optional proformance updates , sercurity updates are nessary .
    IMO this is unacceptable business practice shoving a OS down someones throat . I have run hours and hours on my 7600k with no real problems ( except for the drivers which I updated and solved my issues)
    I also have to wonder if windows 7 is no longer supported then why do intel supply vid drivers and chipset drivers ready to download off of most motherboard manufactures for the Z270 boards ?
    Something is fishy here and and reaks of coruption !
    edit I am able to verify that the lastest update for .netframework does work with out blocking windows update
    Last edited by brothergc; 04-11-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: MS strong arm policy

Fear Not Brother! There are forces at work(programmers) who are designing workarounds for the nonsense MS is trying to unleash. I just caught a glimpse of the article today, and I am hoping that this is a battle MS loses and will rethink their strategy on.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Quote Originally Posted by onetech View Post
    Fear Not Brother! There are forces at work(programmers) who are designing workarounds for the nonsense MS is trying to unleash. I just caught a glimpse of the article today, and I am hoping that this is a battle MS loses and will rethink their strategy on.
    And I just stumbled across one at the forums at 3d guru . I wish I could take credit for the find but I did not but here is a link . Look at this

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....72#post5423672

and here is direct link to the patch I used https://github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19/releases

NOTE I have NO idea how this will effect windows I am testing it now so before trying be sure to back up your system

Anyway I have it installed now and it works !
    the "unsupported hardware " messages are gone and windows updates now works normally . You will need to have the offending updates installed before installing this patch . if you don't nothing will be fixed . Run the batch file as administrator

edit : message for microcrap , bite me LOL !
    edit 2
    so far so good these updates from MS seem to realy help . I am seeing a snapier proformance . I just played 2 hrs of ME andromada and nothing adverse to report .
    I think MS is making a huge mistake in its policy andin the long run hurts them more then help them . Turning the customer into
    something
    that they sell their data to other companies is already bacfiring on them as people figure out how to disable their data colection or just stick to windows 7 . I like to see a new version of windows that disables telemetry , locks down your privacy . But no , MS has to have adds tailored to your history
    Last edited by brothergc; 04-23-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Shout out to the Anti MS BS crews finding a work around. Like I said, I sure hope MS gets beat up over this.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

well this has indeed worked out great ! I just installed MS quality and securiy updates for may and not once did the ugly " Your processor is not supported " pop up OR did windows update fail to work
    I have played 8 hrs of mass efect and hours of general use and on my machine I can find no ligit reason for MS claim of " Not supported " It is IMO all bulls**t hype desighned to force people to upgrade to windows 10

well microsoft won , I had to get windows 10 becasue my asus z170e was giving me fits . so I bought a new mobo but that broke my windows 7 activation so I gave in bought windows 10 pro just so I could have the group policy editor . and it payed off . I am taming and locking down winows 10
    Here is what I have done in group policy
    disabled Telemetry , cortana

I uninstalled microsofts edge compleatly ( not disabled, I mean uninstall)
    I regedited Telemetry to disable it
    Uninstalled all the stupid included apps with ccleaner
    some good links to uninstall MS edge
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-unins...in-windows-10/
    I uninstalled contact support
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-unins...in-windows-10/
    as for windows 10 updates I used the trick "enable metered connection" this tricks windows into thinking I have a metered internet conection
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...reators-update

Win10 isn't perfect, and I get a little frustrated when updates break things--it seems like the testing process is broken. When an update does break something, it seems to take a long time for it to be fixed.

That said, my opinion is Win10 is a far better OS than Win7. I would use Win10 solely for the content menu when you right click the start button, but there's many more improvements. Too many UI tweaks to name, Defender now does AV scans, File History (in the Backup tool) is pretty awesome, the customizeable pane in Explorer, customizeable Start menu, better Task Manager, etc etc etc... I can't believe I'm saying it, but Win7 already feels nearly as dated to me as XP did just a few years ago.

Enjoy!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfan View Post
    Win10 isn't perfect, and I get a little frustrated when updates break things--it seems like the testing process is broken. When an update does break something, it seems to take a long time for it to be fixed.

That said, my opinion is Win10 is a far better OS than Win7. I would use Win10 solely for the content menu when you right click the start button, but there's many more improvements. Too many UI tweaks to name, Defender now does AV scans, File History (in the Backup tool) is pretty awesome, the customizeable pane in Explorer, customizeable Start menu, better Task Manager, etc etc etc... I can't believe I'm saying it, but Win7 already feels nearly as dated to me as XP did just a few years ago.

Enjoy!
    oh yea windows 10 is great once you get rid of the garbage so lets see
    Uninstall MS edge
    disable Cortana
    uninstall office app
    uninstall 3d viewer
    remove skype
    remove one drive
    remove candy crush
    remove xbox Bulls**t
    Disable all the telemetry BS
    remove MS store
    remove MS wallet
    remove Grove music
    and all the other useless apps I cant remember
    Then fight with trusted installer for permissions in various registry and file permissions

Then lets not forget the broken disk cleanup tool ( yes it was broken before I started any mods or tweaks)
    oh and lets not forget the fight with windows to install my drivers and not what it wants

Yea its a great os after a few weeks lol
    I preferred windows 7 it just worked out of the box , fast , stable and no bloatware edit and how well windows 7 handled my sound card a eclario . windows 10 drivers for this card blows chunks
    Last edited by brothergc; 07-02-2017 at 08:17 AM.