building a linux mint box , what vid card ?

I have some left over parts from my last upgrade , a intel 6320 CPU , a few raptor hard drives and some memory . I would like to build a linux mint box , so I am wondering what nvidia vid card to pair with it . I was thinking of using the intel IGP . But my last linux install on a ivy bridge laptop , just did not care for intels IGP SO I am wanting to buy a nvidia card . but not sure what to get . I realy will not be gaming on the system but would like enough graphic horse power to enable all the eye candy , play movies , blue ray ( if possible ) and web content . so what buget card would you suggest ? maybe something just a step or two above a Intel IGP.
    The card would need to have HDMI as it would have to connect to my TV
    Last edited by brothergc; 04-23-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: building a linux mint box , what vid card ?

The GTX 1050 is supported on Mint, and pricing is about the same as the previous generation GTX 950 ($99-$110 on Amazon) so I would suggest going for the GTX 1050 as it is marginally faster and has considerably lower power consumption.

You say you will not really be gaming, but want to enable all the eye candy. I am a little confused what you are wanting to do. Is it just a few games you want to look good?

Here is a very good list of available models if you want to compare specs of individual cards.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id....html#17902607

Quote Originally Posted by djotter View Post
    The GTX 1050 is supported on Mint, and pricing is about the same as the previous generation GTX 950 ($99-$110 on Amazon) so I would suggest going for the GTX 1050 as it is marginally faster and has considerably lower power consumption.

You say you will not really be gaming, but want to enable all the eye candy. I am a little confused what you are wanting to do. Is it just a few games you want to look good?

Here is a very good list of available models if you want to compare specs of individual cards.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id....html#17902607
    What I mean by "enable all the eye candy" is the special effects I know some linux distros have . I might want to kick the tires on Ultimate Linux which has quite a few graphics enabled eye candy .
    The GTX 1050 sounds like the one I want , might even kick it up to the 1050ti .
    Thanks I apreciate the suggestion !
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

System running Ubuntu-16.04/mate/AMD-8350 + EVGA 1050Ti gpu works without issue. Better graphics performance than my hi-value gtx660 in a Xeon workstation.