Starting from scratch do you recommend Win 10 64bit or Linux?

I am creating a new system for myself from scratch. I do "web browsing", "download and watch video" and although I have not played games on a PC or on anything else for a good 15 years....... I want to get into "gaming". They will be offline games, or if they are online then they have to be A) Absoultely free, B) Good fun to play.

I am not very knowledgeable about computers. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate myself 3, but a "3" who is confident enough to be able to build my own system.

I like the idea of getting a free OS, I don't want to have to pay $100 / £100 for Win 10 64bit if Linux is
    A) Free (is it free?)
    B) As good or better than Win 10 64bit (is it?)
    C) Can run all programs designed to run on Windows. (can it?)

Should I go for Linux or Win 10?

Thanks

Re: Starting from scratch do you recommend Win 10 64bit or Linux?

**REM** Linux is unlearnable . NOW: Ubuntu is as "good" as WinME. By "good" I mean useful-as-expected. TUX learning-curves & Linux suxx-max ... except it makes C-coding easy. Shell-script vomits, but must learn a bit; written docs unspeakably useless gibberish. You should start using Debian/CentOS immediately. Takes about 3-4 years to feel comfortable with any Linux variant, but with a pal, robust WWW connection, copy of K&R, & a cheat-sheet you can do lots-of-stuff stuff within days.

Hey, Rosanbo

I'm not a Linux expert, but I have learned more about it in the last year. I use Win10 primarily but have fiddled with some Linux distributions (or "distros" as they're called). I'll give you my take and hopefully some other people can weigh in (both pro and con).

First, this Linux pamphlet answers many basic questions. I recommend you give it a read.

To answer your questions:
    • A) Yes, most linux distros are free. I say "most" because I'm sure someone can point to one that costs but you have a literal buffet to choose from. If you go to distrowatch.com, you see the most popular 100 (!) distros on the right hand side, and you should be able to download the ISO for each one from distrowatch free of charge.
    • B) As good as or better is very subjective, depends on what you want to do, and who you ask. In general, Linux is not as polished as Win10 and it often takes time for drivers to be developed for newer hardware. For simplicity and "plug & play," Win10 is better. 90% of the time, Linux should work without a hiccup, but inevitably there's the router, printer, or GPU that requires additional effort which then becomes a labor of searching, researching, trial and error.
    • C)Many Windows programs are compatible with Linux, and for those that aren't there are often alternatives which usually get the job done. In many instances, the alternatives are "as good as" (sometimes better than) what you find in the Windows environment. If you've ever tried to find a free program (free ISO burner, or maybe a codec converter), you've probably found a Linux-based program and didn't realize it.

Gaming is Linux's Achilles' heel. Older or less demanding games usually work, lots of independent developers make their games compatible with Linux; but if you want to use the latest GPUs to play AAA titles, that's where it becomes a crapshoot as to whether the game will play on Linux. Linux proponents will say it's getting better with Vulcan but I don't see it being as seamless as Win10 for several years to come.

There's an old saying which I believe holds true for most consumers: Linux is worth it, if you're time is worthless

When it works, saving $100 on an OS is wonderful and can be applied towards buying better toys. But when it doesn't work, it can become time consuming to find the solution, or worse yet, an effort in futility.

If you're confident enough to build your own computer and install the OS, you're a "5" at least (I consider myself a "7"). Personally, I would go with Win10 and then research Linux in your spare time. If you decide you want to try it, do a dual-boot scenario.

Hope this helps.

Linux does take a little more time and effort to get everything just right. There are a few distros that are more user friendly in terms of setup than others eg opensuse. You should at least get a live cd/dvd and run that on your machine to see if there's any problems before doing a full install. Many distros also have more software repositories you can add to get additional software and drivers. I donít game so can't help with that. However, if you have to run windows programs, you can also install WINE which allows you to install and run windows programs. However, not all windows programs can work but you can check their site for what does and doesn't work. As stated previously, you can dual boot to run both Linux and Windows.

MR:

Producing a dual boot Linux/Windows install is more than twice as tough as installing just Linux. Lots of WWW references to n00bs getting hosed by starting with a dual-boot! Avoid that mistake. I'd advise OP the most simple path as the first path to Linux; download, burn and install a copy of UBUNTU 16.04 .... or CENTOS . OP ought to have a usable desktop and internet connect by-default. Bulletproof! Slowly expand your vision from that most simple install. Most folks are satisfied with UI default UNITY or GNOME3.

I greatly favor the "MATE" UI not UNITY/GNOME .... and change UIs immediately. But, OP ought initially ignore avoid such tricks.