Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,859

    thoughts on a new boot drive

    seeing I just got a new motherboard , a asrock z270 that supports the new 950 samsung evo I am considering buying one like a 250 mb as a boot drive and using my 850 evo 500 mb as storage , question is is it worth it ?
    Also I neverset up a 950 evo so can I fresh install windows 10 and how would I enable the samsung driver during the install ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  2. #2
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    485

    Re: thoughts on a new boot drive

    I currently run a Crucial C300 128 as a boot drive and a 512MB Crucial MX100 as a games drive. So I would say it's worth it. I'm planning on getting a PCI Express SSD, and I've seen said drives on the market.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,859

    Re: thoughts on a new boot drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I currently run a Crucial C300 128 as a boot drive and a 512MB Crucial MX100 as a games drive. So I would say it's worth it. I'm planning on getting a PCI Express SSD, and I've seen said drives on the market.
    Nightowl How you doing man !
    I been researching these drives and what I found is that windows 10 has a native nvme drives . What I also found is that you will need to setup these drives as a ueif check out this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZROqIboLM
    That being said I am finding that for the average user the a nvme drive is not worth the money . oh sure benchmarks will show a difference , but real world use , not so much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdF_aerWcW8
    Now if someone can show me that this upgrade would be worth it ( I play games and surf the web ) I be all in
    Last edited by brothergc; 06-26-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  4. #4
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    485

    Re: thoughts on a new boot drive

    I was on vacation for close to 2 weeks, and when I came back, had enough money left over to get my GTX 1070. Games do load much faster on an SSD. Diablo 3 for example loads faster and runs better on an SSD, as do Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition for example.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,859

    Re: thoughts on a new boot drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I was on vacation for close to 2 weeks, and when I came back, had enough money left over to get my GTX 1070. Games do load much faster on an SSD. Diablo 3 for example loads faster and runs better on an SSD, as do Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition for example.
    yes your correct on a standard ssd vs a HDD I totally agree , what I am referring to in my comments is a SATA SSD vs a NVME m.2 drive . I do not see the need for one for the average user who just games and browses the web
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  6. #6
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    485

    Re: thoughts on a new boot drive

    I've heard the NVME m.2 drives or PCI Express SSD's boot faster than a SATA SSD.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,859

    Re: thoughts on a new boot drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I've heard the NVME m.2 drives or PCI Express SSD's boot faster than a SATA SSD.
    well I just got a 960 evo 250mb for a boot drive . and while it is faster , it is not blow you away faster then my 850 EVO SATA did only one bench and that was atto some files maxed out at 1,000 mps while others at 500 . write speeds were lower most topping out at 500 mps . as far as boot time dead heat with the 850 evo . not complaining just saying

    anyway its a good boot drive and now I can use the 850 500gb to store games !!
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •