I'm sure this is an old Q: converting VHS / camcorder media to mp4 files

I am sure this has been asked before but my search did not turn up what I was looking for.

We / I have VHS, and Sony / Panasonic Camcorder tapes, with the players.

The players have s-Video and Audio out.

I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 Win10 / 16 G RAM. The PC has a mini HDMI and USB ports. The PC does not have a CD/DVD bay.

I want to convert the tapes to mp4's (or mkv or ??) on my PC, then copy to my NAS for organization. When conversions are complete, I will copy the folders / files to x-sized TB USB drives for my kids.

I need HW to connect from S-Video / Audio to HDMI / USB.

And I presume I need SW to record /edit.

I expect I will do very little editing, no music, openings ect, just trimming any blank time. So high want that the SW be cheap and EASY to use.......I'm ok with Open Source (e.g. VLC)

Only other requirements is the ability to control (HW or SW) the pixel / resolution based on the input, and control the audio record volume. Bonus if the HW or SW can detect and adjust both automatically.

Lastly, if there is another board / site I should post to .......as a newbie, happy to use.

Thanks
    Last edited by videonewbie; 07-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Re: I'm sure this is an old Q: converting VHS / camcorder media to mp4 files

I haven't used it but I've the Roxio VHS to DVD converter at Office Depot. Price is reasonable. Also, check out the Customers Also Viewed section for other options.

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/s...=vhs+converter

Hope this helps.

Re: I'm sure this is an old Q: converting VHS / camcorder media to mp4 files

thanks !!!