Intel CPU Roadmap

Last time I was aware, correct me here (copy/pasted from some time ago) :

Intel
    Kaby Lake (currently 2017)
    Coffee Lake (6 cores too, still 14nm)
    Cannon Lake (just a shrink to 10nm)
    Ice Lake (2019?)
    Tiger Lake (at least better than Ice Lake?)
    no more successor...? (sell your stocks)

It's a long way wait for Ice Lake! Not to mention the CPU now might become round...

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firs...rting-june-26/

Yes, I have just drop out of the CPU drag for long time, including GPU. Now, I am just glaze over into whats up so far. I still haven't build a system as of yet (was going to do that with Skylake, then Kaby Lake). I am sort of hoping to build (PC desktop) maybe later this year or in early 2018.

Is now status like still in Kaby Lake era, but with more cores (e.g., Kaby Lake X) and new i9. But, wasn't that supposed to be for Coffee Lake? New socket too? Could someone feed something in here?

Since "new" thing now is more cores... but that would mean more watts (140W TDP)? Yet, still not too much heat (due to 14/10nm)? So, still use CPU fan (or is water cooling still essential)?

There isn't much news on the 'net, a lot still are from 2015 and 2016 (even back to 2011), which had so much outdated and twisted information already.

Re: Intel CPU Roadmap

Kaby Lake is probably still the go-to for gaming, especially since the Sky/Kaby Lake-X is a more expensive platform.

Coffee Lake will introduce a new chipset (300 series) so it most likely won't be compatible with current CPUs (Intel loves to kill mobos with each iteration).

The High-end CPUs will require more watts, but I believe heat will be a bigger issue than in the past. Smaller die size means there's less surface area and the heat would be more concentrated. Light office work won't be an issue but gaming and demanding work may require high-end air/water cooling. I could see topline CPUs shipping without a stock heatsink to force people to buy better cooling.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11463/...roarchitecture

I just saw this link. It's has little more information. As of that time (2 months ago), Kaby Lake will remain 4 cores while Skylake climbed 6-18 cores. And now Intel has water cooling. So, looks like Intel is busy chasing up (due to Ryzen).

Since Kaby/Sky is still in production, I wonder what Coffee Lake would come out to be? May make sense to go with Coffee 300 chipset if Kaby/Sky going to be high priced too. Anyways, looks like need more waiting. I am not in hurry, but don't like the waiting either.

Back then, lot of comments were enthusiasm on Ice Lake than other coming fads. Maybe that's it? Ice Lake... made out of ice cube?

Coffee Lake will introduce a new chipset (300 series) so it most likely won't be compatible with current CPUs (Intel loves to kill mobos with each iteration).
    I just peeked few days ago about "intel news" and noticed... Coffee Lake now will remain socket 1151.

The High-end CPUs will require more watts, but I believe heat will be a bigger issue than in the past. Smaller die size means there's less surface area and the heat would be more concentrated.
    Yet, the 8700K will be 95watts, however, since it's still in 14nm. So, that may be good (who knows what will happen when intel drops to 10nm... and still fit more cores in there?).

It's all supposed to come out in August 2017. As I mention, I still haven't start a new build and still not in hurry either. sort of good thing I waited... I was so busy anyways! Summer is almost over already?????

Along the way... I am just recognizing "delidding" WW ....hmm... should I... or not...

Ahhh... now might as well do a new socket... but but but the Coffee Lake is already on socket 1151... what a mess!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32133...herboards.html

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel...te-performance

Coffee Lake is old news now? LOL Looks like Ice Lake might come out much later, like end of 2018 or even early/mid 2019. First of all, the next 10nm is going to be all on laptops. Then would need to fix the heat issues (aren't it going to continuously 95W for K versions?), let alone more cores?

I am kinda actually looking forward to start my next build on Coffee Lake, along with new MB (Z300 or Z370, whatever).

Is Intel going to do good on TIM with Coffee Lake? Looks like I would HAVE TO delidding (with a bench vise!). I will then need to learn which/what liquid metal to use. I am also thinking about using CPU fan instead of bulky water cooler.

http://ark.intel.com/products/124968...up-to-4_20-GHz

This is for mobile/laptop... 1.90GHz base clock? That is GOOD?