Internet security for 80 year old dad.

A PC for dad to use email and maybe pay bills online. I was considering ESET or Kaspersky but would like to hear other opinions. He doesn't have any computer skills.

Or maybe just get him a Mac? but I've never used a mac either.

Re: Internet security for 80 year old dad.

I'll ask on a more friendly forum.

I just rolled out the free version of Avast on a small business network after removing Kaspersky because it had expired. So far, all has gone smoothly. Pointing out the obvious, but the forums have slowed down quite a bit but are still quite helpful.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Id get him an ipad

I've been using Bitdefender for 2 years now and I haven't had a problem with it, I used to have Nod, but I found that it conflicted with a lot of games and programs.

Macs are fine, if he likes to fidget around new stuff, then it might actually fun for him to explore the interface too.

Windows 7, 8, and 10 have Windows Defender already installed. Defender was updated this month to an anti-virus, firewall and more. Have tried many others and Defender works just as well or better as it is part of Windows.

malwarebytes or bitdefender are fine, but you should install a adblocker in his browser as well, since tons of malware infects using ads, also you need to train him to not open email attachments, since phishing is a major way to install malware, maybe get him to use a gmail account since, gmail is very good at filtering out spam, a mac or linux might be a better idea

Make it as simple as possible, I just went through this with my dad (85) he has had a computer(s) for 12 years still has trouble turning it on, emailing its insane, however no issue with solitaire. Gave him a gmail account, adblock mbam, he is just made to be analogue.
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]