IDE HDD Data Transfer

Have two old WD WD800 IDE Internal HD. PC has crashed, so have removed them. Want to transfer data to new PC, preferably via usb flash drive. Seems like lots of adapters on market. Any suggestions for cheap, one-time use adapters. Thanks
    Zalophus
    Abit35Pro-Bios 17; E8500; Mushkin XP Ascent; xfx8600GT;Corsair HX620; 1xWD-SATA 250GB; 2xSeagate-SATA 320GB; ANTEC 900; Win 10 Home

ASUS P8Z77-V LE-Plus; 3570K; Corsair Vengence-2x8@1866; CM 212 Plus; Seasonic 750W Gold; 128GB Samsung 830; 1TB WD Black; 1TB WD Blue; Fractal Arc Midi; Win 10 Pro

Re: IDE HDD Data Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by zalophus View Post
    Have two old WD WD800 IDE Internal HD. PC has crashed, so have removed them. Want to transfer data to new PC, preferably via usb flash drive. Seems like lots of adapters on market. Any suggestions for cheap, one-time use adapters. Thanks
    to my knowledge they are all made by the same place in the far-east.

Based on my experience with the ones I have used before, make sure you use a USB 2.0 port...I never have had any luck getting the things to work on 3.0 ports.

I use this model regularly for SATA disks, and it works fine on my USB3.0 ports: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQJME7Y/

I just tested it on a USB2.0 port with an ancient IDE disk and it's working fine as well. I haven't used it with IDE disks before, because the USB adapter's IDE connector is wider than a standard ribbon cable. Some IDE disks from the last few years they were made have the power and data connectors so close you can only connect a ribbon cable. I think they were using SATA power connectors but IDE data? Those drives I just connect internally to a desktop that still has an IDE port. Or you might be able to use a gender changer on the USB adapter, so you can connect a ribbon cable between the USB adapter and the IDE disk.

If it's a traditional IDE disk with the jumpers separating the IDE and power connectors, you should be fine.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Thanks for the recommendation and the tips. The Sabrent looks like it will work. The Connector is a 40 pin, and the jumper pins separate the Molex pins so I don't think I'll have to use a ribbon cable.

BTW, pacmanfan, thanks for using Amazon Smile, but the smile link doesn't work, probably because it's your smile account. No problem finding the Sabrent.
    Zalophus
    Abit35Pro-Bios 17; E8500; Mushkin XP Ascent; xfx8600GT;Corsair HX620; 1xWD-SATA 250GB; 2xSeagate-SATA 320GB; ANTEC 900; Win 10 Home

ASUS P8Z77-V LE-Plus; 3570K; Corsair Vengence-2x8@1866; CM 212 Plus; Seasonic 750W Gold; 128GB Samsung 830; 1TB WD Black; 1TB WD Blue; Fractal Arc Midi; Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by zalophus View Post
    BTW, pacmanfan, thanks for using Amazon Smile, but the smile link doesn't work, probably because it's your smile account. No problem finding the Sabrent.
    Not sure what's going on there. I just tested the link in a Private Browsing tab (so no Amazon session) and it just redirected me to the product page on amazon.com. When I have an active Amazon session I routinely follow other people's links to smile.amazon.com and it takes me right to the product page and keeps me on smile.amazon.com.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.