Beginning builder's 2nd build - Advice, suggestions please

I'm a little nervous with this build since I've never installed a liquid cooler, so my experience with that is zero. I plan on following a step by step online video guide to complete. I ran all the parts through PC Part Picker and everything looks compatible, however I still would like to run it by the group for any possible tips, part suggestions, or any issues others might have encountered with these components.

I will be using this rig as my everyday computer as well as high end competitive gaming (WOW) and streaming. I typically have up to 10 chrome tabs open but minimized. My mind is pretty much set on using an Intel CPU. Over clocking is probably way above my skill level at this time, but I wan't to have that option when I gain more experience and learn more about it.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core
    Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 http://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x61
    Mobo: Asus - MAXIMUS IX Code https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTRXOO/?tag=pcpapi-20
    RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7Y7CmG/gskill-tridentz...
    Storage: Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (OS and games)
    Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    GPU: EVGA - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-S108T11&c=...
    PSU: Corsair - RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case: Corsair - 750D http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-750d-full-...

I'm not 100% set on this Mobo. I chose it based on reviews and the sweet RGB lighting.

I plan on keeping this as my main computer for 5-6 years. My budget is roughly $2300. I could go a little more if it would be a significant improvement.

I plan on pulling the trigger on parts in a few weeks after the release of the I7-8700k. Based on reviews / prices I can easily go that route, otherwise I'll proceed with this build.

Thank you

Re: Beginning builder's 2nd build - Advice, suggestions please

Hi, Skittzo!

Overall, it's a nice build.

Like I mentioned to delatroy, I'm not sure what the fascination is with getting high timed RAM when the mobo requires OC'ing to get the benefit. Not only is RAM OC'ing finicky, RAM speeds do little to performance, especially with Intel. Can someone help me with this? Am I the only one that doesn't see the benefit?

The ASUS Maximus supports 2133 natively. If you want 2400 or 2600, I've got no problem since you "usually" can drop it in and XMP will get you to 2400...but 3200...? If the prices are close, then I'd go for it. Otherwise, re-consider a different RAM. Just my suggestion.

I have the Kraken x62 in my main rig and it's pretty straight forward if I remember correctly. There might be a bit of a struggle with the backplate but I did it on my own, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

The 750D is a great case which gives you plenty of options on where to put the AIO cooler. What I would do just "set" the mobo in place (don't screw it in) and evaluate where the AIO would fit. For example, in my case, I couldn't get it to fit in the top slot closest to the back, so I put it in the back. Also, think about airflow in the case. Do you want the x62 to be pulling air into the case (so that you're using colder, outside air), or do you want to have it exhaust air from inside the case to the outside? Depending on your answer, then you need to arrange other fans so they work in harmony with the x62.

Also, I think the Kraken provides screws for push/pull configuration which is how I have mine set up.

How close are you to the $2300 budget? If you've got some wiggle room, why not bump the m.2 to 1TB? I think you can find them for $400 and sometimes on sale for ~$360. If you're going to be storing several games on the 960, the extra space is probably worth it, especially with some games requiring 80GBs!

I like your thinking on waiting for the 8700K - I was going to recommend you do this, but you already have it covered.

One TIP: if you can, use the stock Intel cooler and get your computer to POST before you install the AIO. If something is wrong, it's much easier to trouble shoot with the stock cooler than removing the AIO. Trust me, I've been there.

I like the Corsair and the 850W is a good choice - it's a little excessive but I'm not going to fault you on that. PSUs frequently go on sale, so keep your eyes peeled for a good deal and when it happens, snag it. My general rule for GOLD certified PSU is $0.11 per watt or less is a good deal. So, with the 850W, that means ~$93.50 or less. Personally, I think you pay way more for the GOLD certification than you benefit in energy savings, but that's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Re: Beginning builder's 2nd build - Advice, suggestions please

Hey btdog!

Thanks for the informative reply. Good stuff to think about.

I planned on putting the x62 at the top of the case (pushing air out?), but i'm a little freaked out that It won't fit. The Maximus Code has armor at the top which might make it a tight fit. Also, with using 4 sticks of RAM, there might be a clearance issue with the coolers tubing. I know these bumps in the road are a good learning experience, but shesh, i'm a new builder and not really prepared to make unexpected mods just yet, lol.

I've already been thinking about the 1tb 960 M.2 which I think I will go with (thanks!)

I've written down your other tips and will reference them when I start the build.

Thanks so much.