Thread: CPU upgrading

CPU upgrading

Just wondering, how often does everyone upgrade their CPU?

Re: CPU upgrading

Well I went from a Q6600 to a Q9550 then to an i7-2700k which I'm still using. I only upgrade when my current cpu can't handle the tasks I need to accomplish or I run across a great deal that I can't pass up. The only reason I'm even considering a cpu upgrade is for platform upgrades on the motherboard. While I can add an NVME drive via a PCI-E slot card, you can't boot from it on Sandy/Ivy Bridge hardware.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I haven't upgraded my cpu/motherboard since August 2013, when I built my i7 4770 system, and it's still going, and running everything out there just fine. I'm looking at getting a PCI Express to mSata card and then adding a Samsung 850 EVO mSata drive to my system. My Samsung 850 EVO SSD is really fast, but I can only guess as to how fast that drive in mSata form would be, and yes there are mSata SSD's on the market.

I like this question.

When I initially got back into building computers (circa 2010), I had intended to build a new computer every 2 years. My first build back was an i7-870k which was a great CPU (still is a workhorse).

After two years, I was still happy with it, so I waited until 2013 when I built my i7-4770k rig. At the end of 2015 I was still happy with that build...same in 2016. It's now been 4 years and it's still an awesome rig - I've upgraded the GPU once (went from dual GTX 670s to GTX 1070) but that's it.

I fully anticipate I will upgrade in 2018. Five years, wow! I'd read about people waiting five years to rebuild a computer and I thought that was crazy! Not sure if this demonstrates leaps in performance have slowed to a point that it's not worth it...or that I'm old.

I upgraded during some from a pair of ASUS GTX 760's to an ASUS GTX 1070. Next upgrade I plan on doing is upgrading my ram to 32GB of DDR3 1600 ram with XMP timings, I see no need to had overclocking ram such as DDR3 2300 ram to my system at all. I figure if I get these upgrades done, including replacing all my harddrives with SSD's I'll be good for a long time yet.

I owned my dual core Athlon II for a good many years... until Killer is Dead got released and wouldn't run on my PC because it has "dual core" issues. I'd say usually every 5-8 years, depending on usage. If you work along the lines of 3D modelling or video editing, then you can definitely look into changing a bit more frequent than the average used. If it's just for gaming, then stick to 5 years or so.

I pretty much hold onto processors until some sort of disaster forces me to upgrade (or until it's not keeping up with what I'm trying to run). Honestly, the former is the more frequent, of late. Last processor upgrade came courtesy of Hurricane Sandy. Before that, the last upgrade was when I was trying to re-grease and reseat the fan to correct overheating issues, and the fan pulled the processor out of the locked socket and bent the hell out of the pins in the process. Most competitive processors these days aren't hitting a point where they're throttling performance too much.
    AMD FX-8150
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
    16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z DDR3-1600
    EVGA GeFroce GTX 970
    Corsair 800GS 800W Gaming Series P/S
    OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    WD Caviar Green 2TB HD