Thread: Slow SSD

Slow SSD

I have a one year old PC that boots from an SSD. Lately the PC is booting up around 50% slower than it used to. I've tried cleaning it up and removing old files to free some space, it's 120gb and has 40gb free at the moment.

I am having no issues apart from the slower loading.

Any ideas?

Re: Slow SSD

What model is the SSD? See if there are firmware updates available--this is a known issue with some older Samsung drives.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

It's a Kingston SV300S37A 120g. I checked just now and there's no new update for it. I would just format it and reinstall, but that's a lot of work considering I need to download a lot of stuff.

Do you have any other indications the SSD is slowing down? You can use a benchmark like HD Tune or CrystalDiskMark to see if the SSD is performing in the ballpark of where it should be. In many cases (like with malfunctioning TRIM or a full SSD) the write speed suffers much more than the read speeds, so things like copying files onto the SSD or ZIP extraction are sluggish, but boot times are normal-ish.

If your SSD speed-tests fine, I'd start looking for a software problem. An easy place to start is the Startup tab on the Windows 10 Task Manager. Once you optimize that, if the problem persists, you start getting into more complicated troubleshooting like this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...0itprohardware
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.