Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AGP card failing. Need help.

Hey guys, I have an XFX 7600GT that shows colored dots all over the monitor from the boot screen the my desk top and all other screens. This has since cleared up but the fan is very noisy.
    It's an AGP card with a lifetime warranty. I have an RMA number. The manufacturer tells me they haven't manufactured an AGP card in about 10 years. Why would they want my card? They also said they would send something a little more modern since fans were no longer available.
    What do you guys think? Is a PCI-e card compatible in an AGP slot? The motherboard is an ABIT NF7.
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete

Re: AGP card failing. Need help.

A pci-e is incompatible with an agp slot, so you are out of luck if you want to keep that old board running without buying/finding another agp somewhere.(ebay ?)
    Maybe measure the fan mounting to see if you can find something to replace the fan ? https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Card...ode=3015421011
    Last edited by CMB; 02-08-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    A pci-e is incompatible with an agp slot, so you are out of luck if you want to keep that old board running without buying/finding another agp somewhere.(ebay ?)
    Maybe measure the fan mounting to see if you can find something to replace the fan ? https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Card...ode=3015421011
    Thanks CMB.
    Looks like I'll just try and find a fan for it.
    Pete

The fan may be glued on. If it is pinned only you will be OK getting the old one off. But if it is glued, but the card in a poly bad and then in the freezer for half an hour. TWIST the cooler slightly and the glue should give. Obviously removing a glued cooler invalidates the warranty. But as above, I would imagine that XFX plan a repair themselves as no-one uses AGP any more.

Thanks for your help guys. I was able to lubricate the fan and now it's much quieter. We'll play this by ear, thanks again.
    Pete

WD40 wins again....