Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    nvidia shield drive

    Hello ,
    I Have a nvidia shield 16gb I use for tv , I had it all set up with the apps on a 32gb flash drive workok till the flash drive died so I need a new drive .
    Here is the question , would this work , buy a cheep SSD say 120gb , a usb 3.0 encloser and just build my own storage device ? what do you think ? maybe get a usb 3.0 powered hub so i could off load voltages from the shield device
    Opinions ?
    BTW for those who do not know nvidia shield runs andriod 7.0 ( just like any phone )
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  2. #2
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    8,422

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    I am using a samsung t5 250gb with my shield. It's very fast and is basically a ssd with usb3 interface. It's very small. Can find it for just under $100.
    Otherwise search in newegg for portable ssd with usb interface there seem to be a few that would be smaller 120gb and cheaper , they start around $50 but I don't know how they compare to samsung. Smallest samsung I think is 250gb .No need to build an enclosure

  3. #3
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I am using a samsung t5 250gb with my shield. It's very fast and is basically a ssd with usb3 interface. It's very small. Can find it for just under $100.
    Otherwise search in newegg for portable ssd with usb interface there seem to be a few that would be smaller 120gb and cheaper , they start around $50 but I don't know how they compare to samsung. Smallest samsung I think is 250gb .No need to build an enclosure
    oh cool I was wondering if sheild would work with a SSD
    Here is my idea would apreciate any feedback
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-313-_-Product

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01&ignorebbr=1
    maybe not the fastest as say a samsung but way better then say a usb flash drive yes ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  4. #4
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    499

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    I have an Nvidia Shield 16GB from 2015, but I'm considering trashing it. When the controller went nuts within the warranty period, Nvidia wouldn't even honor the warranty, and I could easily have the credit card reciept for it. Now I have to buy a new controller thanks to Nvidia not honoring the warranty.
    On top of that, it doesn't have the apps that Roku has, some of which are really decent, and on top of it all, within the past few weeks, the blasted thing decided it wasn't going to log on to my wireless router for some reason, and forced me to do a factory reset, and start setting the thing up again.
    If and when I decide to continue using it, I will be looking at getting an external harddrive/SSD or even a flash drive for it.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I have an Nvidia Shield 16GB from 2015, but I'm considering trashing it. When the controller went nuts within the warranty period, Nvidia wouldn't even honor the warranty, and I could easily have the credit card reciept for it. Now I have to buy a new controller thanks to Nvidia not honoring the warranty.
    On top of that, it doesn't have the apps that Roku has, some of which are really decent, and on top of it all, within the past few weeks, the blasted thing decided it wasn't going to log on to my wireless router for some reason, and forced me to do a factory reset, and start setting the thing up again.
    If and when I decide to continue using it, I will be looking at getting an external harddrive/SSD or even a flash drive for it.
    Well I use a logiteck wireless keyboard that has a trackpad built in and it works great rarley use the little remote . You do know that You can kinda hack these to run any app that a phone will run ? google " setup nvidia sheild " I learned from some guy who was on you tube . shoot I had a web browser , terrium Tv just to name a few apps . Kinda sucked when My drive went south as I lost everything and had to do a hard reset .
    If Yours will still boot you might look into a logiteck keyboard , If I remember right I gave 35 bucks for mine at best buy
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  6. #6
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    499

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    I will consider it, but the Nvidia Shield Game controller is needed for any Android TV games that require it. It still works, just haven't used it in quite some time.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I will consider it, but the Nvidia Shield Game controller is needed for any Android TV games that require it. It still works, just haven't used it in quite some time.
    you might want to boot it up and see , their was a very recient system software upgrade for shield and the controler , shoot cant hurt to try
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  8. #8
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    8,422

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    I use my shield mostly for ota tv, there is a nice tv guide and pvr using the live channels app and hauppauge usb tv tuner.Here's a cheap usb ssd https://www.ebay.com/itm/132646271030

  9. #9
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I use my shield mostly for ota tv, there is a nice tv guide and pvr using the live channels app and hauppauge usb tv tuner.Here's a cheap usb ssd https://www.ebay.com/itm/132646271030
    my idea did work except for one minor issue , the power draw for the hard drive and enclosure was just too much , shield would freeze up
    fixed that by buying a little, made for laptop, powered USB 3.0 hub for 25 bucks . Now I got 250 gig of space and shield is running happy on this cheep solid state drive . only thing I can think of that concerns me is trim, don't know how andriod will handle that but I would have to think that their is some lind of trim on any android device
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  10. #10
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I will consider it, but the Nvidia Shield Game controller is needed for any Android TV games that require it. It still works, just haven't used it in quite some time.
    I ran into a issue with my remote just today , what I had to do was do a complete reset ( just like you would a phone ) then I re paired the remote in the shield settings manager so in essence it was like a uninstall and reinstall . once I did that with the newest software update shield came back to life and my remote is working
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  11. #11
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: nvidia shield drive

    if anyone is interested here is the you tube vid I learned from
    https://youtu.be/OktfmfDdviI
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •