Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    58

    Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    I'm about to embark on building a new PC and have tentatively settled on the following components. Would love to have feedback on possible awkwardness or incompatibilities. Thanks!

    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
    Cryorig H7 CPU cooler
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4-2666
    Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 SSD (for OS and apps)
    WD Black 6TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD (for file storage)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB FTW "Ultra Silent Gaming" GPU
    Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid-Tower case (Gunmetal TG)
    SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Power Supply
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit

    --Howard

  2. #2
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    194

    Re: Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    Overall, solid build - be sure to post pics once you're finished.

    Why 32GB of RAM? I'm asking to make you think about it, not saying you shouldn't get that much. For most people, 16GB should be fine.

    Why Cryorig H7? For an air cooler it seems pretty expensive (I only checked newegg but it was $97!). At that price, an AIO looks more attractive to me. Hyper 212 is $30 and probably get you basically same temps.

    Also (and this is my personal preference), I think you end up paying way more for a GOLD rated PSU than any savings you get in efficiency. 650w seems about right for this build, but run your rig through a PSU calculator to be on the safe side.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    58

    Re: Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    Quote Originally Posted by btdog View Post
    Overall, solid build - be sure to post pics once you're finished.

    Why 32GB of RAM? I'm asking to make you think about it, not saying you shouldn't get that much. For most people, 16GB should be fine.

    Why Cryorig H7? For an air cooler it seems pretty expensive (I only checked newegg but it was $97!). At that price, an AIO looks more attractive to me. Hyper 212 is $30 and probably get you basically same temps.

    Also (and this is my personal preference), I think you end up paying way more for a GOLD rated PSU than any savings you get in efficiency. 650w seems about right for this build, but run your rig through a PSU calculator to be on the safe side.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice. I went for 32GB Ram because I reads somewhere that Photoshop can make use of it for editing large files. Also, I got the Cryorig for $38 at OutletPC. https://www.outletpc.com/vz8692-cryo...el-cooler.html

  4. #4
    Joined
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2

    Re: Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    Quote Originally Posted by howardg View Post
    I'm about to embark on building a new PC and have tentatively settled on the following components. Would love to have feedback on possible awkwardness or incompatibilities. Thanks!

    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
    Cryorig H7 CPU cooler
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4-2666
    Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 SSD (for OS and apps)
    WD Black 6TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD (for file storage)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB FTW "Ultra Silent Gaming" GPU
    Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid-Tower case (Gunmetal TG)my ip birthday wishes tneb
    SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Power Supply
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit

    --Howard
    Also (and this is my personal preference), I think you end up paying way more for a GOLD rated PSU than any savings you get in efficiency. 650w seems about right for this build, but run your rig through a PSU calculator to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by mopakarim5000; 07-30-2019 at 04:02 PM.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    507

    Re: Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    For my upgrade I went with the Core i7 8700, 32GB's of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2666 ram, a copy of Windows 10 and a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming board. Some might ask why I went the route I did, for one, I stuck with the Antec case that I have for the time being, memory prices are low right now, and I have a heavily modded Skyrim SE, and Fallout 4 which with both of them being heavily modded need the extra ram and cpu power. The reason for the Core i7 8700 is that I don't overclock. Videocard is of course my GTX 1070. Boot drive is a Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2, on a Startecch PEX2M2 card, and Windows 10 boots way faster on my new right than it did on my previouse build, which was 6 years old.
    Plus I really like the fact that there are two ESS Sabre DAC's onboard, one for the front panel out(headphones), one for 5.1 surround, a headphone amp, along with dual OP AMPs and other goodies that one might find on a soundcard.

  6. #6
    Joined
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3

    Re: Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    For my upgrade I went with the Core i7 8700, 32GB's of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2666 ram, a copy of Windows 10 and a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming board. Some might ask why I went the route I did, for one, I stuck with the Antec case that I have for the time being, memory prices are low right now, and I have a heavily modded Skyrim SE, and Fallout 4 which with both of them being heavily modded need the extra ram and cpu power. The reason for the Core i7 8700 is that I don't overclock. Videocard is of course my GTX 1070. Boot drive is a Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2, on a Startecch PEX2M2 card, and Windows 10 boots way faster on my new right than it did on my previouse build, which was 6 years old.
    Plus I really like the fact that there are two ESS Sabre DAC's onboard, one for the front panel out(headphones), one for 5.1 surround, a headphone amp, along with dual OP AMPs and other goodies that one might find on a soundcard.
    Could I ask what drivers you are currently using for your GTX 1070? I have add a whole host of issues with my card and I reckon its a driver issue but the latest are not stable for me.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    507

    Re: Please advise and comment on new PC build.

    Quote Originally Posted by hopeless10 View Post
    Could I ask what drivers you are currently using for your GTX 1070? I have add a whole host of issues with my card and I reckon its a driver issue but the latest are not stable for me.
    I'm using version 431.60 from Nvidia, due to the mouse point issue in the latest revision. Discovered that when gaming, I need to go in to GPU Tweak 2 since I have an ASUS GTX 1070, and crank up the fan speed to 100 percent, cause if I don't the card overheats and locksup.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •